Question PC sometimes freezes and then goes to black screen

Sep 16, 2019
stick with 1 thread. don't spam the forum
I built a new gaming PC a few weeks ago and it was working wonderfully. The past few days have been iffy however. Sometimes it runs perfectly and other times it stutters in games. Today it crashed in a game of Crusader Kings 2, then the mouse would lag and move every 30 seconds or so, programs wouldn't open, control, alt, delete would not respond then the screen went black with the blue windows loading circle turning where the mouse pointer would be. Eventually I forced it to off and restarted it and it's running well again (except part of the cooler's RGB doesnt turn on for some reason).

I stress tested the CPU with Furmark (for about 5 mins, probably not long enough, but it worked well at max output and only hit 76 Degrees Celcius. The GPU is being stressed now and is running at max at 74C and getting around 279 FPS.

Is my problem just a random Windows problem? Or the sign of a bad MOBO or RAM?

I doubt it's malware as all I've done is game and download a few mods from Steam and one mod from a dedicated CK2 mod development team who made the Game of Thrones mod for CK2.

I monitor the GPU temps with EVGA Precision X1 and it never exceeds 74C .

I monitor the CPU temps with Ryzen Master and it never exceeds 60C. I play a lot of VR which seems to use the most of both.

The build is:

Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Ryzen 7 3700x
Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570 MOBO
2x8GB Gskill RAM
Seasonic Focus 850w gold plus PSU

Nothing is overclocked.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019
Are you using the notorious Rgb Fusion app? Try uninstalling that. Try setting windows power setting to high performance. See if this helps.
I didnt download that and the power setting was on high performance but I did manage to play 2 and an half hours straight, none stop of Pavlov and Windlands 2 in VR with no issues... so weird. Crusader kings 2 crashed again too but no black screen or freezing.

So the issue I experienced is not necessarily a hardware problem?

Are any of those games steam games? Make sure the auto updating for steam games is off. If it is auto updating it could make your computer lag while in use. I would use Task manager to monitor usage of cpu, memory, hd, and when the computer starts to lag again see if there are any programs running in the background using resources.

Sep 16, 2019
Are any of those games steam games? Make sure the auto updating for steam games is off. If it is auto updating it could make your computer lag while in use. I would use Task manager to monitor usage of cpu, memory, hd, and when the computer starts to lag again see if there are any programs running in the background using resources.

Yes I am, I'll do that. Thank you.

Sep 16, 2019
I built a new PC about a month and a half ago and it's been running very well except three times now when playing Crusader Kings 2 with the A Game of Thrones mod and some other mod the game will freeze up and drag down to 1fps (or so, like a slide show) and when I exit out of the game, all programs lag and the mouse lags until it freezes completely and the screen goes black and I can only see the cursor.

The first time I had to force the PC to restart, the second time it recovered on its own and worked fine, and the third time (last night) I had to force it to restart. It doesn't happen everytime I play the game and has never happened with any other game or program.

I looked at the event files last night around when it happened and nothing seemed wrong (I dont think).

Why might a PC freeze and black screen on one particular game? Could it be the mods I'm using? The game is old and pretty poorly optimized, maybe it's an issue with Windows 10 and the old game?

Sep 16, 2019
I built a new PC about a month and a half ago and it's been running very well except three times now when playing Crusader Kings 2 with the A Game of Thrones mod and some other mod the game will freeze up and drag down to 1fps (or so, like a slide show) and when I exit out of the game, all programs lag and the mouse lags until it freezes completely and the screen goes black and I can only see the cursor.

The first time I had to force the PC to restart, the second time it recovered on its own and worked fine, and the third time (last night) I had to force it to restart. It doesn't happen everytime I play the game and has never happened with any other game or program.

I looked at the event files last night around when it happened and nothing seemed wrong (I dont think).

Why might a PC freeze and black screen on one particular game? Could it be the mods I'm using? The game is old and pretty poorly optimized, maybe it's an issue with Windows 10 and the old game?

Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus elite X570
Ram: 2x8GB Gskill something something RAM.
cpu: Ryzen 7 3700x
Gpu: EVGA Rtx 2070 Super
Psu: Seasonic Focus 850w gold plus