Question PC sometimes has a regular 3 second lag spike to router

Oct 28, 2023
Hello!

I've had a weird issue where my PC will sometimes have a fairly regular ~3 second lag communicating with my router. This has been going on for a few years but seems to have started occurring more frequently in the last few months.

My connection is typically fine under normal circumstances. When the problem arises, my connection speed is normal, but about every 5-7 seconds, it takes a little over 3 seconds for my pc to get a response from my router. If I run a ping -t to my router, I get 5-7 replies with a 1-5ms, then a pause and a reply with ~3300ms.

I'm not sure what causes this to trigger in the first place. It seems to just randomly start after my connections has been working fine for a few hours. Anecdotally it seems more common on weekends but I'm not sure if that's real. The problem has never gone away without turning off my PC. Rebooting my modem, router, and PC all together has a 100% success rate in temporarily fixing things. Factory resetting my modem/router did not change anything. I've only observed this occurring on my main PC and not my work laptop.

Network Adapter: Realtek 8822BE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus X Formula LGA 1151
Router: Netgear WNDR4500v3
Modem: Netgear CM700
ISP: Cox

Any ideas would be super appreciated. I'm willing to replacing my modem/router but I'm still not sure if it's a PC issue or not.
Thanks!

Try to leave a ping run to your work laptop at the same time you ping the router.

The traffic to your laptop will only pass between the lan ports on the router. This is basically a small switch and should never have a issue.

What you are trying to determine is it the router or is it the pc. If the pc has issues with both pings it is likely some pc problem.

Note you list a wifi adapter, you really need to test this on ethernet. It is extremely common to get random packet loss on wifi. Many times it is due to interference but finding the source of a wifi issue is very hard because the chipset will not tell you much.

Reactions: Fetacheese
Oct 28, 2023
Thanks for the idea! Come to think of it, I'm not even sure if it would replicate on ethernet, which would solve all of the problems without thinking about it much more. I'll buy a cable tomorrow and see if it reproduces.

I did the ping test over wi-fi while the issue was replicating and I did get the 3s lag, but I think that was to be expected.