PC Spinning up for 3 seconds then resetting

suupar0

Prominent
Oct 26, 2017
First my Specs: i5-4690k, 16GB Crucial RAM, Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H, Gainward GTX 970, beQueit 400w Pure Power 10

I had a Problem the last couple months were my PC wouldn't boot but instead the clicking of he harddrives being turned on just kept repeating. When I pressed reset the Bios would tell me something like "Boot failed maybe the settings are wrong" and I could enter the BIOS. Without changing any settings the PC would then boot.

I reflashed the BIOS and the PRoblem went away.
Now yesterday it happened again and what I did was turn the PC off completely then switching the PSU to off and pressing the Power on Button on my Case to let any leftover power be used up.
After I did that and turned the PSU on again, my PC would just spin all fans up then shut off and do the same thing again without doing so much as a beep.

I already took out the GPU and all the RAM aswell as put in a completly new PSU and still the same. So I'm Guessing the Mainboard is the problem? Weird though that it only broke after I turned off the PSU completely

suupar0

Prominent
Oct 26, 2017
Thats not true. I've tested this system under full load and it barely came over 250w at max load.
The TDP of my Processor is 88W +145W for the GPU the rest of the compontents are pretty negligible. Also I've run this same system for over 4 years without any problems. I had a 430w PSU before and the problem appeared with that.
I now bought a brand new 400w supply because I though it must be the PSU but as I said the problem persists. I'm really pissed because theres absolutely no Z97 mainboards on the market left and I didn't want to spend 350€ for a new Mainboard + CPU

suupar0

Prominent
Oct 26, 2017
So how do you explain my System running with a 430w supply for 2 years without changing anything? The problem I was talking about happened with a 430w psu not a 400w one.

suupar0

Prominent
Oct 26, 2017
Are you kidding me ? It's not the PSU!My System ran fine with a 430w PSU for 2 YEARS. HOW would it suddenly not work anymore. Also the Problem is even happening when the GPU is not even in and I'm using the Onboard GPU. Sou you're trying to tell me I need a 450w PSU for only my CPU, RAM and Mainboard, no SATA or anything other? Then you have no Idea what you're talking about

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The specs of the beQuiet 400 spell out 384W available on the 12V rails. That's more than enough for the system assuming:
88W for CPU
145W for GPU
a generous estimate of 100W for EVERYTHING else.

That would still put the total draw at 333W, or 87% of capacity. IF everything on the system was running flat out at max capacity. While I'm no professional, this really does NOT seem to me to be the case of a system that needs a bigger power supply.

OP is getting the same results both with the previous 430w PSU, and with this new 400w one, putting aside the very improbable (but still technically possible) idea that the old PSU went bad, AND the new one is defective.

The symptoms described were a little bit like how a Dell I have started behaving, but it was happening only when recovering from sleep mode, rather than initial power-up. The solution that worked for me (and, disclaimer, it could well be specific to my Dell's MB and specific to the sleep mode rather than just powering on), was as follows:

- power off system
- unplug system
- remove CMOS battery
- hold down power button for 20-30 seconds
- wait a minute
- reinstall CMOS battery
- plug system back in
- power on system

That worked for my specific issue on my specific machine, which also happens to be an i5 Haswell. Maybe this will work on yours as well.

xD4rk_

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
Do you have a custom cooler ? The cpu might be overheating or your hardisk is failing. You said that your pc ran fine for 2 years, maybe the thermal paste* reached its lifespan.

The main issue here is there aren't really any good PSU's under 450W.... Not really.

Seasonic makes one, a 430W unit on older tech that is good.

But most are junk and or not worth buying.

So we just don't know, the old PSU maybe fried something.

Until a good quality unit is used as a replacement of the old unit we just can't tell.

Having to switch off or unplug the new PSU points right to the NEW unit as a problem.

Which brings us right back to what I already said twice.

Get a good quality 450W PSU.

suupar0

Prominent
Oct 26, 2017
I tried the CMOS Reset it unfortunately did not work.
I also tried resetting the BIOS with a USB Stick but that also failed.

I do have a custom Cooler (Scythe Ninja 3) my CPU never goes over 68° C so shouldn't be overheating.
I now ordered one of the Last new Z97 Chipset Mainboards I could find. WIll update when it arrives.
Thanks for the Help so far I think it just has to be the Mainboard.
I tried only using 1 of the 2 RAM sticks and tried each one in each DIMM Slot.
Also tried to boot up with minimal devices (MB,CPU,RAM).
The Beeper doesn't make a sound so I'm pretty sure that means the Mainboard got fried. No idea why my Mainboard would break just by switching the Main Power off and on. Propably a Capacitor or something I'm thinking. AND for the sake of jankerson who is so sure it is my PSU: I installed a 600W PSU from a friend.... SAME results. So maybe the next time you won't be so sure ;)