PC Starting Up with No Display

Jrmchugh

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Hey all,

I woke up to a nice surprise today, my PC (built about 6 months ago) wasn't outputting a signal to the display. Last night, I put the computer to sleep. I then went to use it for work this morning, just to find that after waking it up, the display was not working. I restarted the PC, only to find the same result.

Here are the specs:
MB: ASRock Taichi x299
CPU: Intel i9-7900X
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080-TI FTW3
Boot Drive: Samsung 960 Pro
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaw V Series 32 GB DDR4-3200
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 P2

Problem Description:
On powering on the system, all the fans and LEDs for the various components startup. The USB devices turn on as well. The GPU fans start, but then they turn off and do not turn back on. Dr. Debug on the motherboard goes through the various codes for posting, but then displays nothing, indicating that it found no errors. Unfortunately, the motherboard does not have an on-board display port or else I would see if that works.

When pressing the power button to turn off the machine, it waits a bit before turning off as if going through the shutdown process.

Debug Steps so Far:
- Cleared CMOS
- Checked connections from PSU to make sure they were okay.
- Reseated GPU
- Reseated RAM

My Thoughts:
It seems to be posting since Dr. Debug doesn't display any error codes and pressing the power button seems to initiate a shutdown process before powering off (indicated by the period before pressing the button and the device actually powering down). It seems like a lot of signs point towards the GPU, as the fans turnoff and there is no display. However, if there was a problem with this I imagine Dr. Debug would pick it up during boot, maybe not though.

The only real change with the system was I updated the GPU drivers recently (3/4 days ago) to the Game Ready Driver, version 418.81. The installation seemed to go smoothly, except for after the install the display was messed up and I had to restart. This resolved that issue, and since then I did not have any other issues until now.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this or troubleshooting steps I should take. I really appreciate it.

Jrmchugh

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

After taking the memory out, the code it displayed is 53 which corresponds to a memory error, so it looks like Dr. Debug is working properly.