Question PC starts but no display -- it was working fine, then next day turned it on, it runs but again no display ?

dj3642a

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2015
CPU: ryzen 7 2700 x
CPU cooler:
Motherboard: rog strix x-370 f
Ram: 16 gig corsair ddr4 cmk16gx4m2a2400c16
SSD/HDD: sata 2 tb western digital black
GPU: geforce 1070 ti
PSU: cx750m corsair PSU is now brand new
Chassis:
Monitor: samsung 24 inch

have had zero issues with pc till 2 days ago.. simply turned on the pc. left the room for it to boot up.. came back and screen is black. monitor is indicating is has no signal.. this is what i have done so far..

- took pc into living room hooked up to tv.. turned it on. nothing. turned it off. took out the video card plugged it back in blew dust out of pc and the graphic card slot. used toothbrush to sweep inside slot .. left the pc sit for a couple of minutes after jiggling the card and make sure connected ok. finally. it turned on .. on my tv.. took me to the screen where i choose an OS and then it took me right in.. shut it down. and it wont do that again

- took monitor out of bedroom and hooked up to laptop and it works. .. then checked cables.. disconnected and reconnected them to make sure connection is good. nothing. i had something like this happen years ago. so i figured it was power supply. i replaced it and used new cables to the graphics card.. still nothing. you hear the pc turn on and the hard disk running..

- took out ram and started.. nothing.. then swapped ram sticks in the other slot one at a time. nothing. i dont have a speak hooked up to the system.. board did not have a connector for that. so cant hear post.. so as far as i know. its not display.. not the power supply.. not the ram... (well i cant hear a beep for the ram so cant be 100 percent.. i can go out and buy a cheap graphic pcie 2 board and try that. .. cheapest i found was like 60 dollars.. that may be my next stop. graphics board has a light on it when it is running. that runs and so does the water cooled system for the cpu.. that turns on and appears to be running..

any other ideas that i have not tried??

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

dj3642a

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2015
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

you are totally right. Below are the specs:

CPU: ryzen 7 2700 x
CPU cooler:
Motherboard: rog strix x-370 f
Ram: 16 gig corsair ddr4 cmk16gx4m2a2400c16
SSD/HDD: sata 2 tb western digital black
GPU: geforce 1070 ti
PSU: cx750m corsair PSU is now brand new
Chassis:
Monitor: samsung 24 inch

dj3642a

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2015
still having issues.. its a sporadic thing. when it works. EVERYTHING works fine. then just like that. on the next boot. no signal from the monitor screeen. just when i think i fixed it. and its working. i reboot and am back to square one.

i pulled out the ram.. hit the power button.. nothing.. i dont get bios screen .. put one stick in at a time. nothing.

i noticed when i shut off the pc from the power button on the case.. you hear it shut down and then a noise from the hard drive.. i thought ok.. bad drive.. when i unplug the drive and no drives plugged in. still black screen.. but no noise when shutting down. today when i got up i turned the pc on and boom. bios screen. it asked if i wanted to load previous values. i said yes and pc started just fine. took me into one of my partitions. and i got in and was on the pc all day.. i even shut the pc down and started it up again after plugging in the 2nd drive which i use for storage.. i was going to use that second drive to move my partitions to that and see if that made a difference.. in case the drive was bad.. i was rebooting over and over and even turning it off and back on.. it worked fine. so i thought i had it fixed..

was working in one of the partitions and had to reboot and boom.. upon rebooting. no signal on monitor and i cannot get it back again. this is so frustrating.. i changed the CMOS battery and reset it thinking that could be a problem. nothing,. i changed the cables from PSU to the sata drives.. nothing.

as i said when the pc works. everything is working perfect.. then it just stops working.

Dec 22, 2023
still having issues.. its a sporadic thing. when it works. EVERYTHING works fine. then just like that. on the next boot. no signal from the monitor screeen. just when i think i fixed it. and its working. i reboot and am back to square one.

i pulled out the ram.. hit the power button.. nothing.. i dont get bios screen .. put one stick in at a time. nothing.

i noticed when i shut off the pc from the power button on the case.. you hear it shut down and then a noise from the hard drive.. i thought ok.. bad drive.. when i unplug the drive and no drives plugged in. still black screen.. but no noise when shutting down. today when i got up i turned the pc on and boom. bios screen. it asked if i wanted to load previous values. i said yes and pc started just fine. took me into one of my partitions. and i got in and was on the pc all day.. i even shut the pc down and started it up again after plugging in the 2nd drive which i use for storage.. i was going to use that second drive to move my partitions to that and see if that made a difference.. in case the drive was bad.. i was rebooting over and over and even turning it off and back on.. it worked fine. so i thought i had it fixed..

was working in one of the partitions and had to reboot and boom.. upon rebooting. no signal on monitor and i cannot get it back again. this is so frustrating.. i changed the CMOS battery and reset it thinking that could be a problem. nothing,. i changed the cables from PSU to the sata drives.. nothing.

as i said when the pc works. everything is working perfect.. then it just stops working.
Atm i have the exakt same problem it happend for me after i installed a new windows update

dj3642a

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2015
Atm i have the exakt same problem it happend for me after i installed a new windows update
i can see something like that happening. but i had made no changes to pc at all. just one day working and then. nothing.. the PC runs. just no display. but when i get it displaying from time to time. it works perfectly. reboot.. and nothing.