Question PC stopped booting to windows

Sep 14, 2024
hi everyone,

i turned on my pc this morning and it booted up fine to windows, but after 2 minutes it decided to stop opening apps and was left with chrome open, but i couldn’t click to open anything.

after this, i reset my pc and it suddenly came to the windows boot agent where it wanted to boot with ipv4. so then i unplugged my ethernet cable and it went to the pxe-e61 screen.

i tried changing the boot order and realised my m.2 (samsung 980 pro 2tb) wasn’t showing up, so i changed it to csm, changed the boot order but it still will not boot to windows. it will just return to the pxe-e61 screen.

i’m not sure what to do as it’s been working perfectly for 2 years and this is the first time it’s happened or any issue has happened.

(it was also completely fine last night, i was able to game, or use any apps like normal.)

i added a short list of specs if anyone can relate a part to the problem.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon WIFI
Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB - 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4/3600mhz
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 10GB Suprim X LHR
Corsair RM1000x 80+ Gold Modular
2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

it suddenly came to the windows boot agent where it wanted to boot with ipv4. so then i unplugged my ethernet cable and it went to the pxe-e61 screen.

i tried changing the boot order and realised my m.2 (samsung 980 pro 2tb) wasn’t showing up, so i changed it to csm, changed the boot order but it still will not boot to windows. it will just return to the pxe-e61 screen.
1. Check if 980 Pro is being properly detected in bios. Your SSD may have failed.
2. Disable network boot in Boot priority settings. That's what is giving you pxe errors.
3. Fix Boot priority settings.
Windows Boot Manager is for UEFI boot
Other boot option with 980 Pro is for legacy boot.

If your windows was installed in UEFI mode, then you can boot from Windows Boot Manager boot entry only.
If your windows was installed in legacy mode, then you can boot from legacy mode boot entry only.

If still no success, then show screenshots.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Sep 14, 2024
1. Check if 980 Pro is being properly detected in bios. Your SSD may have failed.
2. Disable network boot in Boot priority settings. That's what is giving you pxe errors.
3. Fix Boot priority settings.
Windows Boot Manager is for UEFI boot
Other boot option with 980 Pro is for legacy boot.

If your windows was installed in UEFI mode, then you can boot from Windows Boot Manager boot entry only.
If your windows was installed in legacy mode, then you can boot from legacy mode boot entry only.

If still no success, then show screenshots.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

hi,

thanks for your fast response,

1. what’s the best way to check if it’s detected? it does show up in some options (check screenshots)

2. pretty sure i have disabled them now.

3. i changed it back to uefi as thats what it was on before it happened and where windows is installed.

i also tried the self test but i read that sometimes it says fail but still works.

View: https://imgur.com/a/M86OgUi

Sep 14, 2024
hi,

thanks for your fast response,

1. what’s the best way to check if it’s detected? it does show up in some options (check screenshots)

2. pretty sure i have disabled them now.

3. i changed it back to uefi as thats what it was on before it happened and where windows is installed.

i also tried the self test but i read that sometimes it says fail but still works.

View: https://imgur.com/a/M86OgUi
i also forgot to mention when i check settings/system status - it does show my m2_2 samsung 980 (everything else is not present, i only have one drive)

In BIOS - Settings/System Status.
There should be a section with storage devices listed.
Well, it says - test failed. So your SSD may need to be replaced.

Your boot priority list is unnecessary large - 13 items.
You need only one of those (depending on mode windows was installed).
Hard Disk
UEFI Hard Disk

And also, if you want to boot from USB flash drive
USB Hard Disk
UEFI USB Hard Disk

Disable all the other unnecessary boot options.

Sep 14, 2024
hi again,

i changed all these options so now it only boots up uefi hard disk, but now it launches back to the bios instantly after msi splash screen.

you can also see it does detect my 980 pro, so does that mean it’s still functional?

View: https://imgur.com/a/slKtMHO
also the message it displays on boot reads “reboot or select a proper boot device, or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key”

i changed all these options so now it only boots up uefi hard disk, but now it launches back to the bios instantly after msi splash screen.
That means - either windows was installed in legacy mode
(change first boot option to Hard Disk then)​
Or SSD has failed in a way, windows can not be loaded anymore.
you can also see it does detect my 980 pro, so does that mean it’s still functional?
No. It just means, it is being detected.
It may have corrupted file system. It may have locked up into read only mode.

Sep 14, 2024
That means - either windows was installed in legacy mode
(change first boot option to Hard Disk then)​
Or SSD has failed in a way, windows can not be loaded anymore.

No. It just means, it is being detected.
It may have corrupted file system. It may have locked up into read only mode.
hi again,

thank you for your reply, is there anyway to check if it has locked up into read only mode? or to see if it is corrupted?

Did you try with Hard Disk as first boot option?
is there anyway to check if it has locked up into read only mode? or to see if it is corrupted?
You'd have to boot from windows installation media and run some commands to check SSD status.
Boot from Windows Installation Media.
Go into Command Prompt mode by pressing Shift+F10
run following commands and show screenshots with command output
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume
detail disk

Sep 14, 2024
Did you try with Hard Disk as first boot option?

You'd have to boot from windows installation media and run some commands to check SSD status.
Boot from Windows Installation Media.
Go into Command Prompt mode by pressing Shift+F10
run following commands and show screenshots with command output
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume
detail disk
hi, thanks again for replying.

i followed all of your steps, and it does say current read-only state : yes

where do i proceed from here?