[SOLVED] PC stopped powering on

Dec 6, 2021
So I have an older custom build from ~2013. I set it up for use a couple weeks ago and it was running great. Yesterday, it went to sleep, and when I went to wake it up, nothing. Blue power button on the front on the case flashing indicating its in sleep mode. When i pressed the power button, nothing. I couldn't even turn it off fully with the button. I have a decent background in pcs so I’ve already tried a couple things with it. I had to manually switch the psu switch to get it powered off, after that I opened it up, checked all the connections. Everything still looked snug so I tried to power it with a paperclip on the motherboard pins and got nothing. The pc was having no past issues besides the GPU not working, but it has integrated graphics so it wasnt a big deal to me. To me, it seems like a psu issue, but i wanted to get some more opinions before putting money into my oldest build. The only thing that throws me off, is when the psu is switched on, i do get a power light on my motherboard. I know the specs may help you guys, but Im not home at the moment and the best I remember is it has a 500w power supply, and a MSI A88x-g45 motherboard. Thank you for any insight!

Solution
the best I remember is it has a 500w power supply
So, that's not extremely helpful. :)

What we need is the EXACT model of the power supply and roughly how long it has been since that unit was initially entered into service on any system?

The fact that there is a light on on the motherboard should never be considered to be any kind of argument that the power supply is ok. There are multiple sources of power, and multiple rail voltages, coming from any power supply to the motherboard. Same as with motherboards or graphics cards. The fact that there are lights or fans running never means there isn't a problem with a device and the fact that you have those but don't have normal function actually often means exactly the opposite...
the best I remember is it has a 500w power supply

What we need is the EXACT model of the power supply and roughly how long it has been since that unit was initially entered into service on any system?

The fact that there is a light on on the motherboard should never be considered to be any kind of argument that the power supply is ok. There are multiple sources of power, and multiple rail voltages, coming from any power supply to the motherboard. Same as with motherboards or graphics cards. The fact that there are lights or fans running never means there isn't a problem with a device and the fact that you have those but don't have normal function actually often means exactly the opposite.

If this power supply is from 2013, meaning 8 years old, and especially if it wasn't a particularly good one to begin with, it's very likely to be to blame. But, if the motherboard is of equal age it too could be to blame. Motherboards and power supplies, especially those that are lower to mid tier quality, often begin showing signs of age at about five years. Even higher end hardware might do so around the same time frame if it's been in constant use or ridden hard, and maybe even if it hasn't.

If your power supply is that old, and given the symptoms, I'd probably start there. If that doesn't work, then I'd bench the unit to eliminate some things.

Be sure to check all of the following as well, because you just never know.

Solution
Dec 6, 2021

The fact that there is a light on on the motherboard should never be considered to be any kind of argument that the power supply is ok. There are multiple sources of power, and multiple rail voltages, coming from any power supply to the motherboard. Same as with motherboards or graphics cards. The fact that there are lights or fans running never means there isn't a problem with a device and the fact that you have those but don't have normal function actually often means exactly the opposite.

If this power supply is from 2013, meaning 8 years old, and especially if it wasn't a particularly good one to begin with, it's very likely to be to blame. But, if the motherboard is of equal age it too could be to blame. Motherboards and power supplies, especially those that are lower to mid tier quality, often begin showing signs of age at about five years. Even higher end hardware might do so around the same time frame if it's been in constant use or ridden hard, and maybe even if it hasn't.

If your power supply is that old, and given the symptoms, I'd probably start there. If that doesn't work, then I'd bench the unit to eliminate some things.

Be sure to check all of the following as well, because you just never know.

thank you, im probably picking up a new psu to hold it over until a new build, ill provide the exact models when im home later tonight if im still having issues.

It would be VERY wise to first have a good appreciation of what models are recommended and which models probably ought to be avoided, because while I'm not saying you are one of those people, the majority of people are less than well informed in this regard.

These two links should offer you plenty of information to make a well advised decision. It is the most important component in ANY build, so it's worth taking a little time to learn how you can avoid making a costly mistake.