Mar 30, 2013
Cpu AMD FX8350
Ram Gskill Ripjaws 1600xmp 32GB
MB Sabertooth fx990 r2 asus
Psu corsair tx850
Gc asus r290 strix
Ssd Samsung evo 250
Full watercooling setup and working.

I have built this pc some years ago and currently has strange problems. 8 monrths ago I was compressing some family videos with Handbrake.All went well but in the last videos computer would hang upon starting the compression, or in the middle of it. Then it will hang on desktop, on BIOS UEFI , anywhere. After a painful month troubleshooting I found a way to work around this by disabling two specific threads from BIOS. I had a dead ram stick also and removed it, leaving only three modules in. System worked fine but with 6 cores and 24gb memory. The last week had issue with pc shutting down randomly (like pulling the plug ,no restart) and I had to wait several minutes to turn it on again(I guess short circuit protection thingy). Problem was strange because at the beginning when I had load on pc everything was ok, but quitting to desktop would shutdown after 2-5 minutes. Now it shuts down even on post after 3-5 mins! Wtf?
Tested psu on other pc and it worked fine.
Problem persists even with only mb and psu connected together, no cpu, no ram. Both psu and mb have surge protection. Tested psu immediately after the problem with paper clip and was not turning on so I think something triggers the psu protection. Tested also CLEAR CMOS ,no go.

Solution
No cpu/gpu thermals to report? You have an FX cpu, so I hope you were using AMD Overdrive for it... if not, you're not getting the correct readings.

Custom loop, or AIOs?
If custom, are you keeping up with maintenance?
If AIOs, feel the waterblock, tubing, and radiator. If heat is focused in the waterblock, there's either blockage or the pump has failed.

The last week had issue with pc shutting down randomly (like pulling the plug ,no restart) and I had to wait several minutes to turn it on again(I guess short circuit protection thingy).
Forced to wait a set period of time before PC will power on again? That's a symptom of overheating psu. Is the fan still running?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No cpu/gpu thermals to report? You have an FX cpu, so I hope you were using AMD Overdrive for it... if not, you're not getting the correct readings.

Custom loop, or AIOs?
If custom, are you keeping up with maintenance?
If AIOs, feel the waterblock, tubing, and radiator. If heat is focused in the waterblock, there's either blockage or the pump has failed.

The last week had issue with pc shutting down randomly (like pulling the plug ,no restart) and I had to wait several minutes to turn it on again(I guess short circuit protection thingy).
Forced to wait a set period of time before PC will power on again? That's a symptom of overheating psu. Is the fan still running?

Reactions: Teran1982
Solution

Teran1982

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2013
Hello friends and thank you for responding!
Everything is clean and I am very methodical in keeping my PC always clean inside out :)
So my cpu stands at max 45 degree Celsius and I have a raijteck 360 installed which I service regularly, everything is ok.
The gpu max is about 65.
The only odd think that I found just now is that the psu fan seems that wants to rotate (it does have the Parkinson's!!) when pc is on idle. The fan itself is working when connected in a 12v cable or under load but I suspect that the circuitry responsible for the auto on-off of the fan is not top notch lately! I will try to "manually" cool the psu and see what happens.. But if that is the case, do you think that psu could have damaged both cpu and memory module a year ago?

AngelJin

Commendable
Jun 19, 2020
I had similar boot loops and then pc refused to turn on for 2 days when i clean the psu it turn on and it was better than new :p I am no expert but i believe is hard to dmg ur cpu only i think probably it could destroy other hardware parts first as for the ram i am not sure.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The fan itself is working when connected in a 12v cable or under load but I suspect that the circuitry responsible for the auto on-off of the fan is not top notch lately! I will try to "manually" cool the psu and see what happens.. But if that is the case, do you think that psu could have damaged both cpu and memory module a year ago?
No. If it's just the fan failing, you just need a new psu - unless the unit is still under warranty?

Teran1982

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2013
(y)Solved the problem with the shutdowns. It was the circuitry of the psu. It was not spinning the fan at all on low loads and was overheating and powering off. Now fan is connected on molex 12v and psu is cooled perfectly heheh :D Although the problem with cpu remains.. PC freezes unless I turn off cores 5&6 from BIOS. Tested and found out with Prime95. Well seems that I've hit the jackpot, bad cpu chip probably... Neat..

Teran1982

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2013
I had overclocked to 4,3ghz but that is barely 100 mhz above turbo mode (4,2) for this cpu. Perhaps the 2 weakest cores got damaged from this. But isn't strange that the ram problem co-existed with the two bad cores? Could be a mobo problem? Now I am at default speed for now, and this problem remains unsolved. 😢😖

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
3 ways they could be damaged:
1)Thermal degradation: running at unreasonably high temps - 10C or less - on a daily basis
2)Voltage degradation: similar to above, but with voltage instead. How much Vcore was being cranked through that chip when it was being OC'd?
3)Bent/broken pin: Well, a bent pin isn't exactly damaged, as it can still be fixed. The broken one, on the other hand... RIP. It doesn't sound like the latter though.

Teran1982

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2013
Update: well, problem with random turn-off returned again.. looks like psu takes slowly the road for the landfill. Now I can play my games for about 7 minutes, then shutdown, then wait 5 minutes, then start, then another 7 minutes gameplay and the same ALL OVER AGAIN!! I am very frustrated!!!! I will grab another psu until next month and see how that goes..

Teran1982

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2013
Also I had a bent pin 3 years ago (watercooler pulled cpu with it on exit) and fixed it, it's now straight and tested ok. I did the OC through the mb setting for it (auto in bios) max temp ever 45°C for cpu, max vcore 2,2v to 0,9v, usual about 1,35v

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Can't power it back on right away? Yeah, definitely overheating.

Also I had a bent pin 3 years ago (watercooler pulled cpu with it on exit) and fixed it, it's now straight and tested ok. I did the OC through the mb setting for it (auto in bios) max temp ever 45°C for cpu, max vcore 2,2v to 0,9v, usual about 1,35v
Nice!
Straightening pins can be tricky, and requires a steady hand; it doesn't take too much pressure to break one off.

Teran1982

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2013
Well, it was a damaged psu after all. Bought a new Corsair RM750x and the shutdowns are gone, also the voltages are better. I tested the cpu issue but in prime95 blend it still freezes the system with all cores on, so cores 5&6 inoperable... 😢😢 I am currently default clock 4GHz. At least I can play games without interruptions..

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Not sure what I can add to this thread given that you've solved your problem, but as a fellow 8350 owner I can say from experience that they're super fiddly to OC properly even when new. I remember the ballache I had over trying to get mine stable back when I got it in 2013. I've had to dial it down pretty much back to stock now, aside from increasing the FSB by a touch and bumping the voltage up a couple notches for stability. Given the power hungry architecture that is Piledriver it's hardly surprising that they're starting to show their age, especially as it's had nearly a decade of use and abuse (Or mine has at least). Ha ha. I'm upgrading soon to Ryzen, feels about time to put the old girl to rest.

Purely out of interest, have you tried downclocking at all? It could be that those 2 cores are ageing a little quicker than the rest, maybe a little TLC with the clocks could breath some new life into them?