[SOLVED] Pc struggling to boot and freezing when it finally does, (stop code critical process died)

Alecvanv

Reputable
May 29, 2015
Hi there,
Been struggling with my pc recently, was hoping someone would be able to help. I first noticed something was wrong when my hdd did not show up in the windows file manager(not my main drive), I have windows installed on another drive (ssd). I decided to ignore it and hope it might show up I then proceeded to open a few tabs on chrome and then a few minutes later the pc froze and then i lost display output and then got a BSOD (Stop code critical process died). since then it has struggled to restart sometimes taking a few tries, lights will come on but no output to monitor or peripherals, i then switch it off by holding the power button and try again. every 3 or so tries it will manage to boot to windows only to freeze a few minutes later.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
Operating System:
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU:
Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz: 43 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM:
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard:
MSI ZH87-G43 GAMING (MS-7816) (SOCKET 0): 33 °C
Graphics:
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 : 39 °C
Psu:
Corsair gs800
Storage:
232GB Crucial CT250BX100SSD1 (SATA (SSD)): 33 °C
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-60M2NA0 (SATA ): 32 °C

Last edited:
Solution
Bios version E7816IMS V11.6, It crashes in bios aswell..(freezes, had to force reboot to unfreeze)
Well, if it crashes in UEFI, it's far more likely to be hardware.

Try running memtest86+ on your RAM, 4 passes each stick individually if you have multiple.

Lutfij

Titan
You could easily have stated your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Yes your speccy list is fine but it doesn't show the make and model of the PSU nor i's age, and often times the BIOS version is skipped.

Which BIOS version are you working with for that board? Have you tried working with only the SSD? Can you get into BIOS and remain there indefinitely without suffering a reboot or a freeze?

Alecvanv

Reputable
May 29, 2015
You could easily have stated your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Yes your speccy list is fine but it doesn't show the make and model of the PSU nor i's age, and often times the BIOS version is skipped.

Which BIOS version are you working with for that board? Have you tried working with only the SSD? Can you get into BIOS and remain there indefinitely without suffering a reboot or a freeze?

Bios version E7816IMS V11.6, It crashes in bios aswell..(freezes, had to force reboot to unfreeze)

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020

Try running memtest86+ on your RAM, 4 passes each stick individually if you have multiple.

Solution

Alecvanv

Reputable
May 29, 2015

I managed to run 2 passes of memtest86+ before i had to leave this morning, got close to 1000 errors. How do i run memtest on each stick individually? must i physically take a stick out of the system and then run memtest?

Feb 6, 2020
I managed to run 2 passes of memtest86+ before i had to leave this morning, got close to 1000 errors. How do i run memtest on each stick individually? must i physically take a stick out of the system and then run memtest?

Yes. Boot into memtest with only one stick in the first slot (counterintuitively, this is usually DIMM_A2 on a lot of boards), then do the same for the other stick if you can.

If either stick throws even one error, replace the set. It's bad. Bad slots are possible, but far less likely than bad sticks.

Last edited: