Question PC Stuck at ASRock Boot Screen ?

williamsnyderweb

Commendable
May 6, 2018
My build:
  • ASRock Creator x570
  • Ryzen 7 3800x
  • 4x16gb G-Skill RAM
  • MSI 2080 Super
I don't think I've ever been so frustrated with my computer. I was in BIOS adjusting the frequency on my RAM and it didn't boot up, which is pretty common when I'm trying to get higher frequencies. So I restarted my PC and it went to the ASRock logo and just stayed there. I checked out the MOBO code and it was sitting at 98. From my research this indicates an issue in some peripheral that is attached to the PC. So I unplugged all of my peripherals (mouse, keyboard, headphones, etc) and boot it up again. This time it stuck on post code "d7". Which I think indicates that there are no peripherals connected. So I basically kept alternating USB slots with my mouse and my keyboard while rebooting and clearing CMOS. Every single time it booted up and just stuck on the ASRock screen with the error code "98".

As a last ditch effort I formatted a USB [pen drive] to FAT32 and put a newer BIOS version on it, making sure to name it appropriately. I put it into the right BIOS USB slot and pressed the BIOS flashback button for 3 seconds. It started flashing and then held on green, which the manual says means something went wrong. So unfortunately I couldn't upgrade my BIOS.
I've been taking random things out of my PC to see if it fixes the problem but honestly I can't figure it out. Any suggestions would be really helpful!