[SOLVED] PC stuck on boot screen and keyboard does not work ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khalil4life

Reputable
Jun 7, 2020
Hi,

I've an old motherboard that I bought used weeks ago to build a retro PC, Its an ECS 945GZT-M v1.0, socket 775 and every other PC part as well is old and used.

Specs:

ECS 945GZT-M v1.0

RAM : 1GB DDR2

CPU : Pentium Dual Core E5700 3Ghz

PSU : Non gaming 450w

GPU : Geforce 210

So my exact problem is this : The PC is stuck at boot screen, it displays a big Haier logo with small Intel logo under it and that small generic text "Press DEL to enter Setup, Press TAB for (something I forgot)" under it as well, It won't do anything else no matter how long I leave it on.

My keyboard would not work but has no problem 'cos I tried it on another PC and it works fine, I tried another keyboard and it's the same result, It won't work even if I press the buttons and it shows no light, I don't think the USB port is the problem because I tried plugging a mouse and it showed light, I also plugged a USB flash drive and it also showed light.

I plugged an HDD with Windows 10 installed in it, the PC will still not boot it up, I tried a Windows bootable USB flash drive and same result, I tried a bootable memtest flash drive and still the same result, It'll never boot.

I tried removing the CMOS battery, running the system without it then run it with the battery again, I tried press the power button for long time and I tried leaving the PC unplugged for long time, I tried all that and still no change.

I tested the CPU and PSU with another PC and they both worked fine, I tried a different working CPU (E5300) and still no luck, I also tried another 250w PSU and no luck again.

The graphics card also works fine, I tried a different, older graphics card that plugs into that old PCI slot (Not PCIE) and still no luck, I tried running it without a graphics card and using on board's GPU and no good result.

I tried inserting the RAM stick in both slots and nothing changed, Also the motherboard doesn't look damaged, surprisingly it's even clean and almost no sign of dust.

I didn't try the RAM stick on another PC though, I don't have another DDR2 motherboard so I can't know for sure if it's faulty or not.

And finally, I tried breadboarding, unplugging everything and leaving only CPU and CPU fan and I managed to hear 3 very quick short beeps, when I plug the RAM and the monitor there is no beep and PC gets stuck at that boot screen again.

So could it be the RAM that's faulty ? Or is there a chance that my motherboard is a bad mobo ? Is there anything else I should try ?

Hi,

I've an old motherboard that I bought used weeks ago to build a retro PC, Its an ECS 945GZT-M v1.0, socket 775 and every other PC part as well is old and used.

Specs:

ECS 945GZT-M v1.0

RAM : 1GB DDR2

CPU : Pentium Dual Core E5700 3Ghz

PSU : Non gaming 450w

GPU : Geforce 210

So my exact problem is this : The PC is stuck at boot screen, it displays a big Haier logo with small Intel logo under it and that small generic text "Press DEL to enter Setup, Press TAB for (something I forgot)" under it as well, It won't do anything else no matter how long I leave it on.

My keyboard would not work but has no problem 'cos I tried it on another PC and it works fine, I tried another keyboard and it's the same result, It won't work even if I press the buttons and it shows no light, I don't think the USB port is the problem because I tried plugging a mouse and it showed light, I also plugged a USB flash drive and it also showed light.

I plugged an HDD with Windows 10 installed in it, the PC will still not boot it up, I tried a Windows bootable USB flash drive and same result, I tried a bootable memtest flash drive and still the same result, It'll never boot.

I tried removing the CMOS battery, running the system without it then run it with the battery again, I tried press the power button for long time and I tried leaving the PC unplugged for long time, I tried all that and still no change.

I tested the CPU and PSU with another PC and they both worked fine, I tried a different working CPU (E5300) and still no luck, I also tried another 250w PSU and no luck again.

The graphics card also works fine, I tried a different, older graphics card that plugs into that old PCI slot (Not PCIE) and still no luck, I tried running it without a graphics card and using on board's GPU and no good result.

I tried inserting the RAM stick in both slots and nothing changed, Also the motherboard doesn't look damaged, surprisingly it's even clean and almost no sign of dust.

I didn't try the RAM stick on another PC though, I don't have another DDR2 motherboard so I can't know for sure if it's faulty or not.

And finally, I tried breadboarding, unplugging everything and leaving only CPU and CPU fan and I managed to hear 3 very quick short beeps, when I plug the RAM and the monitor there is no beep and PC gets stuck at that boot screen again.

So could it be the RAM that's faulty ? Or is there a chance that my motherboard is a bad mobo ? Is there anything else I should try ?
Since I've been doing this for 35 years I could say that you should always have a keyboard with a ps2 connector in storage like I do for times like this, but that's not going to help you. If you had a usb to ps2 adapter that might help; maybe you could get one of those for very little money.

Reactions: CountMike

Khalil4life

Reputable
Jun 7, 2020
Since I've been doing this for 35 years I could say that you should always have a keyboard with a ps2 connector in storage like I do for times like this, but that's not going to help you. If you had a usb to ps2 adapter that might help; maybe you could get one of those for very little money.

But this doesn't explain why the motherboard wouldn't boot into Windows 10

But this doesn't explain why the motherboard wouldn't boot into Windows 10
One computer's Windows 10 installation is not necessarily compatible with another computer especially if the motherboard, cpu, chipset and video are substantially different. A fresh install of windows would be needed. If you have a usb containing the windows installer, that could boot. Or you could try a usb containing a linux live distro and see if that boots.

Khalil4life

Reputable
Jun 7, 2020
One computer's Windows 10 installation is not necessarily compatible with another computer especially if the motherboard, cpu, chipset and video are substantially different. A fresh install of windows would be needed. If you have a usb containing the windows installer, that could boot. Or you could try a usb containing a linux live distro and see if that boots.

I already mentioned trying to boot Windows installer through USB and that didn't work, also I don't have a DVD Drive to try it as an alternative.

The PC seems to be stuck at the logo screen, No POST, No hardware check, Just the logo for as long as I let it on.

I'm thinking that Philip Corcoran is right, My two CPUs maybe aren't supported, So I'll buy one of those officially supported CPUs and see how it goes, Specifically this one : https://www.jumia.com.tn/intel-processeur-cpu-intel-pentium-4-508000.html

Reactions: dwd999
Status
Not open for further replies.