Question PC Stuttering and Crashing in BIOS ?

Jun 7, 2023
First time PC builder, and first time on this forum. Any help is appreciated.
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite AX
  • CPU: Intel I9-13900KS
  • GPU: PNY GTX 1070 (placeholder)
  • RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 6000mhz
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Storage: 4TB WD Black SN850X
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i Elite Capellix
  • Case: Corsair 7000X
The PC will make it to BIOS, and I even started installing Windows. However, after running for a few minutes, it begins heavily stuttering, and another minute or two after that it completely shuts itself off. This happens even if I leave it in the bios.

I've tried a bit of troubleshooting with it so far, some for this issue and some things for other issues. Here's the list of things I've tried off the top of my head:

• Clearing CMOS and resetting defaults.
  • Flashing bios to most recent version.
  • Checking CPU for damage and socket for bent pins.
  • Switching RAM cards through different slots to check for defective ones.
  • Checking CPU orientation/placement to verify it is correctly seated.
I'm pretty lost with where to go from here. Should I consider replacing certain parts while I have the ability, or are there some troubleshooting steps I haven't checked yet? I'll provide a couple photos to help, but I'm pretty lost with where to go from here. I've noticed CPU voltage looks VERY low to me, but I'm unsure of it.
Images found here.

Solution
Hey folks, forgot to update this forum when I fixed it, but the issue ended up being a problem with Corsair's connector for their commander core. It slotted in, but in some way was not making a proper connection. I simply needed to reconnect that cable for it to work. Thank you all for your help.
Jun 7, 2023
Did you check CPU temps and that your AiO pump is working properly?
CPU is running very hot, which you'll see in the photos. I've tried checking the AIO but the only problem left for it would be whether or not the pump is working correctly, which I'm not sure how to check in its current state. Any advice there?

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
CPU is running very hot, which you'll see in the photos. I've tried checking the AIO but the only problem left for it would be whether or not the pump is working correctly, which I'm not sure how to check in its current state. Any advice there?
How hot is very hot? What do you see in performance monitor when the problem occurs?

Jun 7, 2023
How hot is very hot? What do you see in performance monitor when the problem occurs?
It builds up to the max temp set in the bios pretty much consistently, before the voltage and speed drop (I'm assuming due to throttling), then after a bit it crashes. I know it's either CPU, motherboard, or cooler at this point. The only reason I didn't consider AIO at first was because it looked and felt like it was running, there was vibrations and the coolant lines would heat up a bit. However, on a better review those vibrations are likely ambient ones from all the other fans in the system.

I didn't see the pics until now. You must have the AiO connections wrong. Find your motherboard's manual and see where you are to connect the AiO pump cables.

Jun 7, 2023
I didn't see the pics until now. You must have the AiO connections wrong. Find your motherboard's manual and see where you are to connect the AiO pump cables.
AIO pump connection is on CPU_FAN header, as manual says. I'll just have to test the header with a different fan to see if it's the header or the cooler that isn't working.

AIO pump connection is on CPU_FAN header, as manual says. I'll just have to test the header with a different fan to see if it's the header or the cooler that isn't working.
Looks like the SYS_FAN4_PUMP header is at the bottom as seen in the image below. Your radiator fans can go on the CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT headers.

PdNbqfo.png

Jun 7, 2023
Looks like the SYS_FAN4_PUMP header is at the bottom as seen in the image below. Your radiator fans can go on the CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT headers.

PdNbqfo.png
I'll have to try it tonight after work, but now my problem is that the default wire on the cooler isn't long enough to reach down there. Guess I'm buying an extension. However, it's worth noting that the fan header its plugged into isn't picking anything up at all. Something to worry about for the rest of my shift?

I'll have to try it tonight after work, but now my problem is that the default wire on the cooler isn't long enough to reach down there. Guess I'm buying an extension. However, it's worth noting that the fan header its plugged into isn't picking anything up at all. Something to worry about for the rest of my shift?
Your CPU fan header likely does detect something, otherwise it likely would give you some sort of beep code error that nothing was connected to the CPU fan header.

Jun 7, 2023
Your CPU fan header likely does detect something, otherwise it likely would give you some sort of beep code error that nothing was connected to the CPU fan header.
It never gave me warning when I was testing it before the cooler was installed, and if you look at the bios photo it says there is nothing on the CPU_FAN header. Either way, I'll run a test with the other one tonight and see if I get anywhere new.

It never gave me warning when I was testing it before the cooler was installed, and if you look at the bios photo it says there is nothing on the CPU_FAN header. Either way, I'll run a test with the other one tonight and see if I get anywhere new.
It may give you an error if you were to leave nothing plugged into the CPU header. I believe it's showing N/A because it's a pump and not a fan.

Jun 7, 2023
Hey folks, forgot to update this forum when I fixed it, but the issue ended up being a problem with Corsair's connector for their commander core. It slotted in, but in some way was not making a proper connection. I simply needed to reconnect that cable for it to work. Thank you all for your help.

Solution