PC suddenly became slow and laggy

Fractal Master

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2015
Hey, recently my PC has been very slow and laggy. This drives me crazy. I have pretty good pc, almost every game runs at ultra. It all stared last week when i was playing GTA V with my friend. I was playing normally, but then inside the game the pause menu stuck in loading. I ctrl+alt+del but nothing happend, i did it like 5 times until the whole screen turn black. I only saw my mouse cursor, it took about 5min to get into my desktop. Then everything was laggy, i restarted my pc, it didn't work. I runned malware/virus scans, many times. Using Malwarebytes, spybot etc. They didn't spot anything. Normally i can open web browser with out a problem and many tabs as possible, now my pc struggles to open two or even one. Even refreshing the page freezes the whole browser. My browser freezed 2 times while writing this. I almost wanted to punch my fist through the screen. Also other programs freezes too. Steam, taskbar and almost every other program i use in my pc. They also took alot time to open. The only last thought in my mind is to clean up whole HDD and re-install windows. I really wouldn't like to do that, since i have alot of work and projcets/games on my pc, and it would take so long to install them again. My Motherboard, CPU and HDD is almost 3 years old. I've been thinking to update i7 and get better motherboard. I'm going to buy another HDD,shortly. Seagate Barracuda 2T since im running out of memory. I am very frustrated, so ff you can help me fast as possible, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks

PC Specs
Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Motherboard: Asus Z-87 A
Processor: Intel i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.30GHz
Processor Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Ghrapics Card: Geforce GTX 980 Strix
Harddrive: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
RAM: 16GB
Power Supply: Corsair CX750M (750W)

Solution
One bad sector isn't the end. But I wouldn't trust the drive for anything critical. And since you were planning on a new drive anyway, just get one. You can use the Seagate drive tools to check up on the old drive if you want, but I would just get a 2TB drive and copy everything over, and a SSD for a boot drive. And I personally am fond of WD and have found them very reliable. But that's just me.
The first thing to come to mind is a drive issue. Since you were planning on a new one anyway, try reinstalling Windows on a SSD and migrating your old files over to a new drive. If it still lags you have some other issue. And you probably don't need an upgrade until Kaby Lake or Zen for your CPU and Pascal/Arctic Islands for your GPU.

Fractal Master

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2015
Hey sorry if took long to answer, right now im using laptop cause my main pc was getting so laggy that i couldn't log into windows anymore, i factory rest the whole computer, clean up drives and everything. I readed that corrupted file can mess up your pc? I used the windows scanner, that scans your drives, it found 1% broken files, from the F drive. This is the drive where i install all my games. Windows is on C. Could this also mean that my hard drive is going to break? It dosent make any noise or anything. Should i use some HDD checker or anything that checks my hdd health before i start to install other programs to computer?

One bad sector isn't the end. But I wouldn't trust the drive for anything critical. And since you were planning on a new drive anyway, just get one. You can use the Seagate drive tools to check up on the old drive if you want, but I would just get a 2TB drive and copy everything over, and a SSD for a boot drive. And I personally am fond of WD and have found them very reliable. But that's just me.

Solution

Fractal Master

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2015

Thanks, i've been watching WD black 2TB, they really look that they are worth of price. 5 year warranty makes it even more trustable. So should i like get HDD for games and editors. Like photoshop, blender 3d program etc. And ssd for boot drive. Should it be intel or samsung? I dont really know ssd brands well, since i never used a ssd. I've been looking. Intel, Samsung, Kingston etc....

Fractal Master

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2015

So how this ssd actually work, is it like a drive where you can install stuff like in hdd? But faster. Like should i install windows to ssd? I've been reading that it makes programs and windows start faster?

TRENDING THREADS