Question PC Suddenly not performing as usual

raywestnit

Honorable
Jul 4, 2018
Hey guys,
So it started off with the PC not showing anything on the monitor, did a quick restart then suddenly all of my drivers are just gone, I DDU'd and installed new drivers, and things were looking good but I noticed that when I was playing Valorant I had lower FPS than usual used to hit 200-250+ in game, now I'm getting 130-180 with some minor stutters here and there which definitely sucks when playing a competitive game.

I reinstalled the drivers so many times, tried reseating the graphics card and ram, made sure the PC was indeed not overheating, and also tried some Windows updates just to make sure, but things are still the same :/

Specs:
Ryzen 2600
Asus prime a320m-k
8x2 16 GB 3200mhz
RX 580 4GB

edit: My last hope is reinstalling windows but that is a pain to do, and the last thing I'd do

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

= = = =

Use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) to observe system performance.

Use all three tools but only one tool at a time. Observe first when not gaming and then again while gaming.

The objective being to determine what changes or happens when the stutters occur.

Also: Drivers.

Manually download all drivers directly from the applicable manufacturer's website. Download and reconfigure as applicable. No third party driver installers or similar utilities.

Process Explorer:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

raywestnit

Honorable
Jul 4, 2018
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

= = = =

Use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) to observe system performance.

Use all three tools but only one tool at a time. Observe first when not gaming and then again while gaming.

The objective being to determine what changes or happens when the stutters occur.

Also: Drivers.

Manually download all drivers directly from the applicable manufacturer's website. Download and reconfigure as applicable. No third party driver installers or similar utilities.

Process Explorer:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer
PSU: Corsair VS450, around 5 years, the condition is pretty good had no problems with it
No history of heavy gaming mostly played light competitive games like Val and League, with no video editing and bit-mining.

Did some observing using Unigen benchmarks, and nothing seems odd I guess, temps were normal.

and yes I downloaded all my drivers from AMD directly

Ralston18

Titan
That Cosair VS450 may be starting to falter and fail. Just in small ways enough to cause "little" problems.

Remember that PSU's provide different voltages (3, 5, and 12 volts) to various system components.

At 5 years old the PSU is likely nearing its' designed in EOL (End of Life) and no longer able to respond to sudden peak power demands.

Use a calculator to determine the total wattage demands of the system. How close is the total to 450 W?

As the PSU declines, there is likely some threshold wattage where the PSU simply cannot provide that wattage. Or not "quickly" enough.

There are a number of things you can do:

1) Look in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that may have been captured just before or at the time that stutters, etc. occurred.

2) Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage.

3) Swap in another PSU (higher wattage recommended) if at all possible. Remember to use only the cables that come with the swapped in PSU.

4) Use a multimeter (if you have one and know how to use it) to test the existing PSU. Not a full test because the PSU is not underload. However, any voltages out of tolerance make the PSU even more suspect. Get someone with multimeter to help if necessary.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

And be sure, as always should be done, to backup all important files etc..

At least 2 x copies to locations away from the current host system. Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.