[SOLVED] PC suddenly restart while gaming after upgrading a processor

Nov 25, 2020
Hello everyone,

I recently upgrade (is it considered as upgrade?) my processor from Ryzen 3 3200G to Ryzen 5 2600.
I do this upgrade because in my country, ryzen 3 3200g price is going high than before (it's a good time to sell it) and i have gtx 950 (so i dont need integrated gpu anymore) in my hand. My 3 3200g is 3 months old now, so i sell it and buy a new 5 2600.
After upgrading, i play valorant (i only play valorant and dota 2) in medium settings and other effects is off, after about 1 or 2 hours, it's suddenly exiting (without message) and sent me to desktop view. After that crash, i play it again and it works just fine. The day after that crash, i play valorant in same settings again and this time, my pc suddenly restart itself. I have my msi afterburner osd displaying a gpu and cpu temp while play and it's just like usual temp; my gpu is on 70-73°C and cpu on 50-55°C. I know i have gpu bottleneck about 13% in this site https://pc-builds.com/calculator/ but does bottlenek can cause pc to restart? Or its because my new processor? My system (i put more detail below) is have a 16 GB 3000Mhz memory and 450w psu. I have 2 140mm argb fan in front as intake and 2 120mm argb fan as exhaust and make the exhaust fan curve higher than the intake since its only 120mm. I have that 4 argb fan and also 1 rgb strip in my case and never turn these led on while playing game (to make sure my psu have enough power to supply). Another things that i think can cause this issue is my m.2 sata ssd, the temperature (from hwinfo) is always constant 40°C, and i also have a plan to buy nvme ssd in a future. So what do you guys think about this issues? Thank you and sorry for my anglaise

My PC

Motherboard: Asrock B450M Steel Legend
Processor: Ryzen 5 2600
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8GB 3000Mhz
CPU Cooler: Deepcool Gammax 200T
Graphics Card: Galax Geforce GTX 950
PSU: Deepcool DE530
SSD: V-Gen SSD Turbo Sata M2

Solution
I buy a new PSU with 500w rated power, 80+ white and the problem solved! I bought a 400w psu because think more than 500w is just overkill for my current system? And also for efficiency to my wallet hahaha. Since i don't really need heavy load for my system and i'm not really a gamer who play AAA games, i'm not planning to upgrade my cpu or gpu to power hungry hardware in a future. The most possible upgrade scenario i could think GTX 1650 which even consume less power than my current gpu and ryzen 5 3600. Do you think my new psu is will be okay with that?

Aerocool is not a very good PSU brand. Don't buy power supplies based on price, you need a quality one for reliability.
Nov 25, 2020
You upgraded the processor, but did you have the GTX 950 also? If not, the added load could be the issue
Do you think its because the bad psu or simply the psu wattage is not enough? I mean if i swap the psu with (let says) 400w 80+ gold will the wattage will be enough? Because if i calculate my pc in psu calculator, its says 90% load will needs only 307 watt

sometimes it's not total load but what a PSU supplies on the 12V rail for a GPU - the GTX950 doesn't draw alot but it might be borderline. also I'm surprised the 200T is capable of keeping your CPU that cool - even the 400 would easily be in the mid-60's gaming!

Do you think its because the bad psu or simply the psu wattage is not enough? I mean if i swap the psu with (let says) 400w 80+ gold will the wattage will be enough? Because if i calculate my pc in psu calculator, its says 90% load will needs only 307 watt

Don't get a 400 watt PSU, I don't even think there is one that is gold rated that low. 550 watt bronze of a good quality will be plenty, Corsiar CX is usually the cheapest good PSU that is available in many markets. Cutting the power supply close to the system needs is not a good idea, PSU efficiency and age, as well as possible future upgrades will fluctuate the power needed. Get one with enough headroom to allow for easy running and upgrades. Think of it like measuring the load of a parachute, do you want one made to exactly match your weight and any more it will fail, or would you feel better with one rated for 3 times your weight?

Nov 25, 2020
sometimes it's not total load but what a PSU supplies on the 12V rail for a GPU - the GTX950 doesn't draw alot but it might be borderline. also I'm surprised the 200T is capable of keeping your CPU that cool - even the 400 would easily be in the mid-60's gaming!
I bought a new psu Aerocool United Power 500w because it's 80+ white (certified) and only ~29USD in my country! All the problem just gone. But about the 12v rail, what exactly i need to check in 12v rail data sheet to make sure it's okay with my gpu? From the deepcool official website, de530 12v rail will provide 350w of max output.

I think my temperature is relatively low with 200t because i only play a light game like valorant? When i'm playing, it only use 25-30 % cpu usage.

Nov 25, 2020
Don't get a 400 watt PSU, I don't even think there is one that is gold rated that low. 550 watt bronze of a good quality will be plenty, Corsiar CX is usually the cheapest good PSU that is available in many markets. Cutting the power supply close to the system needs is not a good idea, PSU efficiency and age, as well as possible future upgrades will fluctuate the power needed. Get one with enough headroom to allow for easy running and upgrades. Think of it like measuring the load of a parachute, do you want one made to exactly match your weight and any more it will fail, or would you feel better with one rated for 3 times your weight?

I buy a new PSU with 500w rated power, 80+ white and the problem solved! I bought a 400w psu because think more than 500w is just overkill for my current system? And also for efficiency to my wallet hahaha. Since i don't really need heavy load for my system and i'm not really a gamer who play AAA games, i'm not planning to upgrade my cpu or gpu to power hungry hardware in a future. The most possible upgrade scenario i could think GTX 1650 which even consume less power than my current gpu and ryzen 5 3600. Do you think my new psu is will be okay with that?

Aerocool is not a very good PSU brand. Don't buy power supplies based on price, you need a quality one for reliability.

Reactions: chrisyantar
Solution