Question PC suddenly shut down, motherboard turns on but nothing else

Oct 2, 2022
Newcomer here but been watching the forum for some time. I have a weird issue with my selfbuilt PC. I left the PC on, went out for one hour and when I came back, only the motherboard was on and working, the other components were off and no longer responding (graphics card, etc)

I forcibly turned off the system and turned it back on; the following happened:
  • motherboard turns on, RAM components light up (RGB turns on)
  • a short white light flashes just once on each of the power ports of the graphics card, but it doesn't turn on (no fan, no RGB)
  • system fans are not turning on, which they normally should do
  • CPU cooling fan also doesn't turn on

It's a weird issue, can someone direct me in the right direction to fix this issue?

My config:
Motherboard : Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE
CPU : AMD RYZEN 5 5600X
GPU : Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 AORUS X 10G 2.0
PSU : Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 850W Platinum
CPU Cooler : Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
RAM : G.Skill DDR4 Trident-Z 2x8GB 3200 Mhz CL 16 RGB
SSD : Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2

No overclocking, nothing fancy, just added two physical harddisks of 12TB each (Western Digital), that's all.

This computer has been running without problem for a year, running games, editing videos, work related stuff, everything working fine. Now all of a sudden, while the PC was on and I was away, all components but the motherboard seem to have shut off and every time I try to reboot, it remains the same.

My first guess is a problem with the PSU. Any advice would be very welcome as I'm pretty much a novice in PC building, it was my first PC I've built in a long time and now that I urgently need it for work, this happens.

Thank you so much in advance!

Oct 2, 2022
Could it be the GPU? Would that also cause the main fans to not turn on?
I think I still have an older GPU laying around, perhaps I can switch it out, see if that works so I can elimate one by one the possible cause? Not sure what else I can do. I also don't think it's the motherboard as the RAM seems to be working correctly ...

Oct 2, 2022
UPDATE: problem solved! I was able to test with a PSU of a friend, exact same wattage and all works perfectly. Turns out it was the PSU that partially bricked. Weird, after using it for only a year. Will get a new one from the supplier because it's in warranty still.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech