[SOLVED] PC suddenly shuts down during gaming but power led stays on

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
What could be the problem? I have noticed it only happens when I play a game. It’ll suddenly just shut off as if the power went out. But my led power light stays on. My temps looks fine. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks I think I’ll do that. As of right now been gaming for a few hours and it’s been fine. I reseated my ram, because I unplugged everything yesterday before. And it seems to be working just fine. I also plugged my pc into the wall instead of the cheap power strip I had. Could that have been the culprit?

Potentially, if the strip wasn't very good, it could cause fluctuations maybe. See how you get on. If you get shut down/restarts again, I'd just go ahead and get rid.

Good luck, and happy gaming :)

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
It shuts down and I have to flip the switch on the psu to shut it off. My monitor stays on but has no signal and my led power button stays on.

ryzen 5 2600
red devil rx 580 8gb
as320m-s2h motherboard
evga 600w psu
16gb ram
h510i case

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Hey there,

Does the system re-start or just shut down?

List your full pc specs, make/model etc.
It shuts down and I have to flip the switch on the psu to shut it off. My monitor stays on but has no signal and my led power button stays on.

ryzen 5 2600
red devil rx 580 8gb
as320m-s2h motherboard
evga 600w psu
16gb ram
h510i case

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
There are many 'EVGA 600w' PSU? Some are much better than others. Although it is new, it's possible it's faulty. I'm not saying right now, that's the cause, but it's possible. Knowing the model really helps.

If it was an EVGA G2/G3/GQ Gold, then they would all be very good. If it were a EVGA BR600w isn't so good.
Yeah definitely understandable. I believe it’s the br600w. I can’t remember for sure, bought it at Best Buy for like $80. I noticed it will shut down so suddenly when I start playing games. Sometimes within 10 minutes, sometimes an hour, or even 3 minutes. It’s weird because the power button my my pc stays on. But I have to switch the psu to off.

Yeah definitely understandable. I believe it’s the br600w. I can’t remember for sure, bought it at Best Buy for like $80. I noticed it will shut down so suddenly when I start playing games. Sometimes within 10 minutes, sometimes an hour, or even 3 minutes. It’s weird because the power button my my pc stays on. But I have to switch the psu to off.

Ah, right. It's not exactly the worst PSU nor is the best. It has a reputation (Even though EVGA generally have good PSU's) as a PSU that can have issues in modern systems. If you've only bought it, you might RMA it. The description you give defo points that way.

It has a shorter warranty of 3 years, and and isn't made with the best parts. I'm not sure who the OEM is for that model, but it's not EVGA who makes it, it's the OEM with the EVGA packaging on it.

I'd RMA it and hopefully the replacement works as expected.

This would be a good replacement if you can get it locally for close to that price:

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($84.73 @ Amazon)
Total: $84.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-21 11:58 EDT-0400

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan

It's not weird, in that different voltages are used by different parts of the PC. PSUs aren't a binary work/doesn't work thing.

If it's a BR, it wasn't a good match with a higher-stack AMD GPU. Given the symptoms, it's the most likely culprit.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Ah, right. It's not exactly the worse PSU nor is the best. It has a reputation (Even though EVGA generally have good PSU's) as a PSU that can have issues in modern systems. If you've only bought it, you might RMA it. The description you give defo points that way.

It has a shorter warranty of 3 years, and and isn't made with the best parts. I'm not sure who the OEM is for that model, but it's not EVGA who makes it, it's the OEM with the EVGA packaging on it.

I'd RMA it and hopefully the replacement works as expected.

This would be a good replacement if you can get it locally for close to that price:

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($84.73 @ Amazon)
Total: $84.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-21 11:58 EDT-0400
I also should have mentioned, that this also happened with my old PSU. But not as frequently, if that makes a difference.

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
I don't think @DSzymborski is saying your GPU is the issue. Rather that, modern GPU's switch frequency/boost/clockspeeds/voltage so fast, and with quick changes in power draw cause some PSU's to shut off. It's the protections kicking in on the PSU. I may be wrong there.
Ahh, I see. If that is the case, is there a fix for that? Or just have to get a new psu?

DSzymborski

Titan
Complicating things is that the old PSU wasn't particularly good either, so it's hard to rule it out on this alone. I like to rule out PSUs first because it's an important safety issue! What I would do is get a Tier B or better (stickied post in our PSU section) from somewhere that has a good return policy. If a better PSU fixes the issue, great, if it doesn't, you can either keep the quality PSU for long-term health of the PC or return it and you've at least eliminated that as a source of the problem.

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
IMO, I'd RMA your current PSU. See if you can get an upgrade. If not, maybe a refund and go for something a bit better like the one I linked.
Thanks I think I’ll do that. As of right now been gaming for a few hours and it’s been fine. I reseated my ram, because I unplugged everything yesterday before. And it seems to be working just fine. I also plugged my pc into the wall instead of the cheap power strip I had. Could that have been the culprit?

Potentially, if the strip wasn't very good, it could cause fluctuations maybe. See how you get on. If you get shut down/restarts again, I'd just go ahead and get rid.

Good luck, and happy gaming :)

Solution