Question Pc suddenly slow to log in. Everything else is fast.

Apr 12, 2020
A few days ago I realised that my PC was a lot slower to log in then usual. About half the time after I turn on the PC it will just be a black screen and the other half it is very slow. It will take at least 10 minutes. It is a reasonably new PC less then 2 years old and everything works well and fast after I get into the desktop. I am a little concerned about this because it has never happened before and I think that it is very suspicious that it only gets slow on the log in.

Please help thanks

Right click your Start button and select "Windows PowerShell (Admin)". When the PowerShell window appears, enter the following command exactly as it appears:

chkdsk /f /r C:

It will give you a warning about not being able to lock the drive. Enter "Y" to have it schedule the chkdsk for the next reboot. Restart your computer and it will proceed to do the chkdsk run. Bear in mind that this process will most likely take awhile depending on the capacity and speed of the drive, sometimes over an hour. It will give you progress on screen when it is running so you can tell it is doing something.

Once chkdsk completes, it will restart your computer once more automatically. When that happens, pay attention to the login to see how quickly it runs compared to it's current speed.