[SOLVED] PC suddenly stopped displaying after 6 years... IDE related error code

Feb 18, 2019
Hello everybody,

Here is my parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/WilliamJiangLong/saved/

It is an ASrock Z77 Extreme 5 MOBO, and R9280x along with misc components from old builds and new purchases.

One day while I was playing Kingdom Come I heard a 'UBS' unplugging sound, suddenly my display stopped working, and now I get not even a BIOS when I turn my computer on. When I check the MOBO it says that it is error code 'A2' which I've found online means IDE (hard drive, optical drive) related.

Well, I've unplugged all my IDE devices, reset CMOS, boot with one stick of ram and nothing.

When I boot with not even my GPU, I get 'D6' which is GPU not recognized. When I plug my GPU into my presumably broken PCIE slot it also says 'D6' (I had trouples with that slot earlier). When I boot with only my GPU I still get the 'A2' error even with all my hard drive and optical stuff unplugged.

At a loss, willing to make new purchases to fix this obviously. I just don't know why my computer randomly stopped working.

Solution
Have you tried plugging the GPU into the second PCIe slot to test?

Also its odd it would have issues without the GPU as that board and your CPU have a built in GPU so without a GPU in the PCIe slot it should default to the onboard GPU especially if you set it back to default settings.

If it doesn't work with the GPU in the second slot, remove the GPU and connect your monitor to the VGA, DVI or HDMI on the motherboard and lets see if that works.

Also its odd it would have issues without the GPU as that board and your CPU have a built in GPU so without a GPU in the PCIe slot it should default to the onboard GPU especially if you set it back to default settings.

If it doesn't work with the GPU in the second slot, remove the GPU and connect your monitor to the VGA, DVI or HDMI on the motherboard and lets see if that works.

Solution
Feb 18, 2019

Thanks for the reply; I truly appreciate your help.

Sorry if I was confusing; I tried both PCIE slots, one of which im assuming is dead, the other of which still gives me the IDE (A2) error.

It very well could be a cable error now that I remember. I will try using another display type (optic) and VGA as other users reported having a visible A2 but still being able to boot and let you know what happens.

Feb 18, 2019

You wouldn't believe this but I plugged a different HDMI into my GPU than my monitor. Problem solved