Question PC Turning off and on repeatedly after testing RAM

Feb 2, 2023
I noticed that my PC was only using 8 out of the 16gb of ram. So a reseated the two sticks of ram and rebooted. It then didn't detect the second stick at all.

Removed the second stick and booted back up the PC and this worked with no issues again. Incase it was the slot itself I then swapped the sticks but it failed to boot.

At this point I was just confident that one of the sticks had stopped working. However when I put back in the working stick of ram now my PC repeatedly turns off and back on when trying to boot.

Any ideas wtf might be going on. I would assume this is no longer due to the ram as 10 minutes before I booted no issues.

Feb 2, 2023
Hey there,

Run memtest86+ outside of Windows and test your ram. With two sticks first, then each one individually. They must pass 4 passes with no errors. Otherwise the ram may be faulty.

Would I need to remove the hard drive for this ? I can't even attempt to boot into bios or safe mode.

Booting into windows isn't the problem, it won't boot at all. After 5 seconds it turns off then back on. Rinse repeat until I cut the power

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023
No, you don't need to do that. But you can't even boot? To run memtest86+ you would need to get to the bios. You will also need to create a bootable USB thumb drive. Instructions on memtest86+ website.
Going to be honest. I don't think it will even get that far. Fairly sure something similar happened before but no clue what was the cause back then or how I fixed it other than what I am doing now.

Only thing I can think of at this stage is PSU issue or the cpu is over heating. Which I'm fairly certain I had checked temps the other day and there was nothing abnormal. Just pissed I decided to keep testing the ram after it had booted fine with only one. Then stopped booting at all even with a different stick of ram

Feb 2, 2023
try this remove 1 ram module system off power clear cmos and test then do the same with the other doing cmos cleary before power on report result .
I have done this more times thank I can count.

1 Stick worked after doing these steps originally before posting.

I then decided to try see if the other one was working incase it was an issue with my fourth slot.

Then when that failed I tried putting back in the working one. That is where I ran into the issue of it not booting and repeatedly turning off.

Seems unrelated to the RAM as I confirmed one was working before testing the other. Seems like a new separate issue now.

Also to add , I tested a completely separate stick of ram I used to use with this PC and its the same issue booting

Feb 2, 2023
You could check the BIOS to see if the CPU is overheating.

Try testing both sticks running in single channel... both sticks on channel A (A1/A2) or channel B (B1/B2) and see if the system boots.
Can't even reach the BIOS

1: PC power on, cpu and gpu lights up and spins
2: 5-10 seconds later, PC turns itself off
3: PC turns back on
4: Rinse repeat until I cut power

Reactions: King_krungo
I have also removed the GPU to reduce strain on the PSU with no luck
Your system won't boot without the GPU, since there isn't integrated graphics on the AMD Ryzen 7 2700 .
A Corsair TX750M is more than capable of powering your listed components without any strains.

Make sure the CPU is installed properly and that there aren't any damaged pins.
Power off and unplug PSU power cord ...then reset BIOS.
Try one stick of RAM on slot A2
Connect back power cord to PSU, and power on PC.
It could take a couple of minute for the BIOS memory training and it could reboot a couple of times.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Feb 2, 2023
Your system won't boot without the GPU, since there isn't integrated graphics on the AMD Ryzen 7 2700 .
A Corsair TX750M is more than capable of powering your listed components without any strains.

Make sure the CPU is installed properly and that there aren't any damaged pins.
Power off and unplug PSU power cord ...then reset BIOS.
Try one stick of RAM on slot A2
Connect back power cord to PSU, and power on PC.
It could take a couple of minute for the BIOS memory training and it could reboot a couple of times.
Surely without the GPU I should still be able to get into the bios. If I can get that far I am confident in getting into windows.

I have done all the above as that normally solves any other issues i have had. However when resetting the bios I have only done it through the cmos so might be worth removing the battery for a few mins and see if that changes anything.

Also cleaned the CPU heat sink and fan so gunna reapply thermal paste and see if that helps.

Also going to eat so will leave the PC rebooting training the BIOS for a while as maybe I didn't leave it long enough in previous attempts