Question PC turning off suddenly during Gaming then becoming stuck in a boot loop.

Mar 21, 2020
Hi,

My built PC has been relatively problem free since i built it around two years ago, until recently when gaming i have been experiencing the system shutting itself off completely, then powering back on being stuck in a boot loop for some time. It will continue to boot loop unless I switch it off fully, and then i will have to wait anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours for it to be able to boot again properly. Upon looking inside the case when it is boot looping the CPU debug light is on on my motherboard, but makes no sense as it will start up again later within time.

My specs are:
i7-8700k (no overclock applied)
16gb of TridentZ RGB clocked @3200
Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z370 Motherboard
NZXT Kraken 280mm AIO CPU Cooler
ASUS Strix GTX 1080
250gb Samsung NVMe SSD (Boot drive with a single game installed)
2TB HDD
Corsair 650W PSU (unsure of exact model name)

Any help or possible solutions would be greatly appreciated as I work on this PC for my university projects also so it is inconvenient that this problem keeps occurring somewhat randomly. There doesn't seem to be anyway to identify when this will happen, all temps are also fine when gaming, it does not seem to be game dependant. Thanks, appreciate any ideas you guys have. :)

Mar 21, 2020
Hi,

The PSU is a Corsair CX600, I thought I had fixed the issue when checking inside the case for loose connections as it hadn’t happened for about a week or so, but as of writing this post it happened an hour ago (and is still stuck in a boot loop). The monitors don’t loose power it is only the Pc that does and they’re both plugged into the same double socket, so I assume a new PSU is needed? Thankyou for your reply btw :)

Mar 21, 2020
Try another wall outlet? Or switch PSUs with a more reliable unit. The CX600 is not bad, but maybe something from Seasonic or Corsair's TXM/RMx series is a good option.

so tried another wall outlet, same issue occurred, CPU light on motherboard is on, was monitoring temps on other monitor so it’s not not overheating issue, I guess a new PSU is the solution? Will look into the above series you mentioned for a new one!

Mar 21, 2020
Give the new PSU a shot. But before doing so, just check all your connections are fine, or try substitute PCIe cables or a different PCIe lane for your GPU.

New PSU installed and it boots to BIOS, however for some reason both drives (HDD & M.2 NVMe) now fail to show in the BIOS at all, they both worked flawlessly before hand, and the NVMe showed until I updated the bios to try and get it to windows, in which made the SSD not be shown at the BIOS or boot over ride screen. Any ideas? In upgrades the PSU its almost rendered my pc useless and I’m reliant on it for finishing my uni work in about a month or so

Last edited: