PC turning off then back on upon first start up

Christian8886

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015
Building a computer for the first time, upon the first start up the fans and components would start up, then immediately turn off and back on endlessly. After taking everything out except for the case fans, PSU, CPU, and motherboard it still had the same problem so I assumed it was one of those causing the problem. I assumed the PSU was the problem as they are notorious for coming DOA and sent it back to corsair. They sent me a replacement and now I have the exact same problem only now the LEDs on the GPU are lighting up whereas they did not before. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? My next guess would be it's the motherboard. Are there any ways to test if it is or to see what the problem is? Any help is greatly appreciated.

1) check and make sure you have spacers behind your motherboard and nothing is stuck behind it, shorts can cause this
2) take out your ram and put it back in, incorrectly inserted ram can cause this
3) dead ram can cause this
4) dead motherboard can cause this
5) incompatible motherboard can cause this
6) bent pins or incorrectly installed cpu can cause this
7) broken or incorrectly installed power or reset switch can cause this

plenty of stuff can cause your problem, hopefully something I listed gives you a hint on what to search for.

update your bios. that motherboard (out of the box) doesn't support XMP profiles for ram faster then DDR4 2133; you might need to manually set the ram timing... though i'm not sure how you'd manage that if you can't get it to boot. either way you'll need to update the bios to get it to boot (would be my guess)

I think gigabyte has a bios "flash" procedure that can be done without the computer booting. I think it's called q flash or something like that?

Christian8886

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015
I'm not sure how to do that, from what I could google it looks like during boot up I need to have the USB drive with q flash on it inserted and then press end on the keyboard to enter the process, but I don't think my keyboard turns on before the computer restarts again (It is back-lit, the LEDs never turn on before the PC restarts again).

usually those bios flash procedures can be done without ram or cpu installed. or at least the asus version can be. you might need to remove the ram and/or cpu to get it to flash.

Christian8886

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015
Well this is embarrassing, but after going through a trouble shooting check list it would appear I forgot to plug in both the CPU and the GPU... so now the system stays on and the motherboard is lighting up and giving me codes (AE- boot to legacy OS) but I have no video on my monitor.

is your monitor plugged into the gpu or the back of the motherboard? make sure its plugged into the gpu.