Question Pc turning on and off

May 13, 2019
Hey, two days ago I was having a lot of issues with the CPU cooler, fighting to get it off and put it back on. Since then my PC began randomly turning off, probably every 15 - 20 mins. I decided to try running intensive apps and games while monitoring the CPU temp to see if it's a heating issue, however the CPU temp was fine.

I then took apart my PC to try to find out the cause, at this point the PC would only turn on for a second then turn off. I figured it was a PSU issue so I began messaging around with it. I found a post on this forum where someone suggested sticking a paperclip into the green and black pins of the PSU connector to trick it into powering on.

I did that and the PSU turned on and worked fine, running for long periods. At this point I began suspecting the motherboard. I then tried resetting the CMOS Battery which ended up fixing the instant turn off issue.

I reattached everything and the computer would turn on, but there's be no VGA or HDMI output from the motherboard, the graphics card would also not turn on.

Now, a day later, the PC turns off 3 seconds after being powered on with no visual output. What do you guys think, Motherboard issue? I don't have a spare one to test it to be sure so I may have to just wing it and purchase a new one.

Help and advice appreciated. Thanks.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I was having a lot of issues with the CPU cooler, fighting to get it off and put it back on
Elaborate on this, depending on what you did and what ultimately happened, there is every possibility the CPU socket pins could have become damaged.

I found a post on this forum where someone suggested sticking a paperclip into the green and black pins of the PSU connector to trick it into powering on.
Take this with a pinch of salt, the paperclip test only tells you if the PSU is delivering power, not how much, or how effectively. A faulty PSU can easily pass a paperclip test.

Can you post your entire spec including PSU make and model?

May 13, 2019
Elaborate on this, depending on what you did and what ultimately happened, there is every possibility the CPU socket pins could have become damaged.

Take this with a pinch of salt, the paperclip test only tells you if the PSU is delivering power, not how much, or how effectively. A faulty PSU can easily pass a paperclip test.

Can you post your entire spec including PSU make and model?
Intel i7-6700K
Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H
Cooler Master RR-212E-16PK-R1 Hyper 212 Evo
Corsair CP-9020048-UK CX 600
Vengeance DDR4 2x8GB
Sapphire AMD RX 480 8B
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Upon screwing the screws out for the CPU cooler stand, some did not want to release no matter how much I unscrewed so I may have pulled a bit on them to take the cooler out. I admit I was rough with the equipment.

PSU was hardly touched in this process so I doubt anything happened to it.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
PSU was hardly touched in this process so I doubt anything happened to it.
I understand what you mean, but most PSUs that fail do so without ever being touched. And my understanding of that CX line is it potentially isn't the best.

Even though yours isn't exactly the same issue, follow this guide first: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Purely because it will get you to cover all cabling and even verify CPU socket damage.
Based on what you've said, I'd sooner go down the route that a cable has been knocked and now isn't fully secure or some MB damage may have occured.

May 13, 2019
I understand what you mean, but most PSUs that fail do so without ever being touched. And my understanding of that CX line is it potentially isn't the best.

Even though yours isn't exactly the same issue, follow this guide first: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Purely because it will get you to cover all cabling and even verify CPU socket damage.
Based on what you've said, I'd sooner go down the route that a cable has been knocked and now isn't fully secure or some MB damage may have occured.
Alright cheers, I'll follow that post when I get home from work. I'll post my results here. Thanks

May 13, 2019
Update: still have yet to find a solution, but one thing I tried is removing the CMOS battery all together and powering on. The pc has been running for many minutes now, as opposed to before it would run for 2 seconds and shut down. However still no HDMI output coming from the motherboard.

What does this mean?