Question PC turning on with fans spinning, red led on JFP, but no signal to the monitor - MSI MEG Z690I UNIFY

Apr 24, 2023
Hi all,

My PC suddenly shut down after 6 months of non-intensive use. I was not doing any software/hardware update before it append.
When I tried to turn it back on, I heard some "click" sound and saw that the PC was stuck in a loop of turning on and off iteratively.
Then it stopped and I'm now stuck with the fans spinning, a red led on the JFP1 mark, and no signal to the monitor.

I tried:
  • Clearing CMOS by pressing 5/10 sec with PC off, but nothing changed
  • Removing the RAM one after the other, but nothing changed
  • Removing the GPU and connecting the display directly to the motherboard, but nothing changed
  • Checked the monitor with another PC, it's not the issue

My configuration:
- MSI MEG Z690I UNIFY
- CPU : Intel Core i7-12700K (3.2/5.2 GHz)
- CPU cooler : Noctua HN-U12A
- GPU: RTX 3080
- RAM : Kingston FURY Beast DDR5 64 GO (2*32)
- SSD : 1*Samsung 980 PRO MZ-V8P1T0BW M.2 PCIe 4.0 1T
- PSU : Corsair SF750 compte 80 plus platinium
- Fans : Noctua
- Case : Cooler Master NR200P Mini ITX

Thanks for you help, I spent all my money into that PC and I absolutely need it for my work :/

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023
I tested the 24 pin connector from the PSU with a multimeter and everything is fine, I'm getting either 12v, +3,3v or -12v depending on the pin.

What should I ckeck next ?

Apr 24, 2023
You didn't test the supply with a load. Maybe motherboard suffered from infant mortality. Unplug the 3080 and try the onboard graphics for any life.
With 3080 unplugged and hdmi straight into the motherboard I’m not getting any signal on the monitor and still have the red led on JFP1 with all fans spinning (including those integrated on the motherboard).

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
With 3080 unplugged and hdmi straight into the motherboard I’m not getting any signal on the monitor and still have the red led on JFP1 with all fans spinning (including those integrated on the motherboard).
Test the ram 1 at a time. Not much left to go wrong. CPU's least likely. Motherboard, PS or RAM. CPU? If all else fails.

Apr 24, 2023
Test the ram 1 at a time. Not much left to go wrong. CPU's least likely. Motherboard, PS or RAM. CPU? If all else fails.
Tried the ram 1 at a time but didn't change anything. I'm going to have a pro check the major components as I don't have a spare one and it's the least costly option.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffreyP55

OMG_1_

Honorable
Dec 13, 2016
Update : The motherboard was the issue, I changed it for a Z790I and everything is working now. Still don't know why it died suddenly.
hey i have a similar issue, was your motherboard on when it "died?"

my pc turns on i could see the lights on my motherboard and fans all work but no display to monitor keyboard or mouse. did you see your mobo lights on before you changed it for a new one