[SOLVED] Pc turns off after a gpu upgrade

Jul 9, 2021
So guys I need a help with this, I had a gtx 750ti and I upgraded it to a RTX 3060 and I installed it and my computer started to shut down after a gameplay or after a few minutes.
Temperatures are ok and I ran a few tests with furmark and it all went well, when I left my pc opened tho it didn’t shut down for a while but it kept happening
I did delete all the drivers from the old gpu and I also updated the mobo, after the mobo upgrade it took like 4 days to happen again and I was playing COD WARZONE for long hours and streaming as well. I don’t know if it is a psu problem or a gpu problem help me!!!

Ryzen 7 3700x
Gpu rtx 3060
Ram 2x8gb Klevv
Ssd Sabrent 1tb
Mobo B550 mortar Wi-Fi
Psu Game max 850w gold certified

Solution
So, I got it to save some money it was cheaper then the other ones it had as good review on Amazon and it is my first build pc so I didn’t have the knowledge about the psus and the quality and tier 1 tier 2 etc…

Well, none of us know all that there is with PC hardware from the birth. But to help people out, we have tech forums, like this one (Tom's Hardware), where people can post their planned build and ask other, more knowledgeable people if the parts are good. :)

Any suggestions for a reliable psu or a good brand for an upgrade?

I don't know about PSU availability in your area but good PSUs to go for are:
Seasonic PRIME, Focus and Core series
Super Flower Leadex III series
Corsair RM, RMx, HX, HXi, AX, AXi series...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Psu Game max 850w gold certified

Why you have that PSU? Is it for the RGB?

Btw, if it were GPU issue, you wouldn't see any image or you'd see artifacts on the screen. PC shut down, however, is most of the times caused by PSU.

And the jump you did with GPU, is considerable. GTX 750 Ti is 60W GPU while RTX 3060 is 170W GPU.
That's extra 110W your PSU has to output, more if you have GPU OC.

Your PSU specs: https://www.gamemaxpc.com/productkkk/1176-en.html
I see quite a lot wrong in there.

Reactions: dent1
Jul 9, 2021
Why you have that PSU? Is it for the RGB?

Btw, if it were GPU issue, you wouldn't see any image or you'd see artifacts on the screen. PC shut down, however, is most of the times caused by PSU.

And the jump you did with GPU, is considerable. GTX 750 Ti is 60W GPU while RTX 3060 is 170W GPU.
That's extra 110W your PSU has to output, more if you have GPU OC.

Your PSU specs: https://www.gamemaxpc.com/productkkk/1176-en.html
I see quite a lot wrong in there.
So, I got it to save some money it was cheaper then the other ones it had as good review on Amazon and it is my first build pc so I didn’t have the knowledge about the psus and the quality and tier 1 tier 2 etc…
I am pretty sure that it is the psu the problem but I just needed to be sure. Any suggestions for a reliable psu or a good brand for an upgrade? Thanks

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Well, none of us know all that there is with PC hardware from the birth. But to help people out, we have tech forums, like this one (Tom's Hardware), where people can post their planned build and ask other, more knowledgeable people if the parts are good. :)

Any suggestions for a reliable psu or a good brand for an upgrade?

I don't know about PSU availability in your area but good PSUs to go for are:
Seasonic PRIME, Focus and Core series
Super Flower Leadex III series
Corsair RM, RMx, HX, HXi, AX, AXi series

For your build, look towards 650W unit. 750W if you want bigger comfort zone. 850W is too much and you'll be loosing out on PSU's efficiency, since your build consumes about 370W in total. ~450W with CPU/GPU OC, making 650W PSU more than enough.

(Btw, all three of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic. Full specs with pics in my sig.)

How did you do that?

What OP is meaning by that, is that he deleted the old GPU drivers from the OS, not from the GPU.

Solution
I am pretty sure that it is the psu the problem but I just needed to be sure. Any suggestions for a reliable psu or a good brand for an upgrade? Thanks

It sounds like a PSU problem to me as well...sudden shut downs without artifacts or bluescreens are almost always a PSU issue. I'd also recommend a quality gold or platinum rated supply in the 650w range for your setup.

logainofhades

Titan

Cheaping out on PSU is not a good idea. I would probably bet money that a Corsair CX650m bronze unit is of better quality over anything Gamemax.

Jul 9, 2021
Ok, thanks all for the help, but today something different happened, I tried to play again and it turned off and on very fast and my monitors stopped working, but i could still chat with my friend on discord, without seeing any image, like it didnt shut down or restarted, it just lost the power for a second and then no image on my screen, just a black screen but windows was working, i waited for like 5 minutes and the image didnt return. Restarted and then it was working fine.

I'm considering to get a Corsair RM750w or RM850w and I will get by next week so I hope it fix the problem, thanks all

Jul 9, 2021
Good choice with PSU. Though, 850W is too much as i stated above. Going with 850W is sensible when you plan to upgrade your GPU to RTX 3080/3090.

Yeah, I just ordered the RM750w, i dont think i will be upgrading for a few years at least. Thanks for the help bro, I hope it will work fine.

Reactions: Aeacus