Question PC turns Off and On at Startup ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CIGAARR

Reputable
Oct 14, 2019
I recently upgraded to Windows 11 and at the same time I upgraded my motherboard and installed an AIO.

My PC was fine for about the first week, but one day when I turned the PC on it got to the splash screen then turned itself off and back on again.
It then loaded into Windows fine and everything was normal.
For the next few days the off/on issue occurred every time I started the PC.

One day it happened again but this time it turned itself on and off about 3 or 4 times in a row, and once windows finally loaded it seemed like something was corrupted, as I would recieve and error message whilst trying to open any type of file .txt/.png/ect.

I decided to do a fresh install of Windows 11,
I figured that perhaps it was a driver issue since I had installed windows 11 before upgrading my hardware.

Once the fresh install had complete I had no issues at all, the PC was booting normally.
But unfortunatly the same issue has started again about a week later.

I cant seem to put my finger on the cause, operating temps seem normal, drivers, bios and Windows are all up to date.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, ill list my PC specs below.

PC Specs:
  • Operating System: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621
  • Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING WIFI II ATX AM4 Motherboard BIOS Version 3002
  • Processor (CPU): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
  • CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC II 360 ARGB 80.95 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Memory: G.SKILL F4-AG.SKILL F4-3600C17D-16GTZR 16 GB (8 GB x 2) Trident Z RGB Series DDR4 3600 MHz
  • Graphics Card (GPU): Asus Radeon ROG Strix RX 580 TOP edition 8GB (ROG-STRIX-RX580-T8G-GAMING)
  • SSD/M.2: Samsung 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
  • SSD/M.2: Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
  • Hard Drive: Seagate FireCuda 2 TB 2.5" 5400RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive (SSHD - Solid state hybrid drive)
  • Power Supply: Corsair RMx 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case w/ Dark Tempered Glass (Black)
  • Monitor: MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Monitor
  • Monitor: 2x Asus VG245HE Console Gaming Monitor - 24'' FHD (1920x1080) 1ms 75 Hz
  • Tablet Monitor: HUION Kamvas Pro 13 (8192)
  • Keyboard: Asus ROG Claymore Wired With Numpad (Mechanical Cherry MX Red)
  • Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB FPS Wired Optical Mouse
  • Microphone: Rode NT-USB
  • Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Open backed
  • Speakers: KRK RP5 G3 Black (Studio Monitor Speakers)
  • DAC: Topping DX3 Pro+ ES9038Q2M Bluetooth 5.0 LDAC Audio Decoder DSD512 DAC AMP NFCA Headphone Amplifier Pre Amplifier (Black)
  • USB Drive: Corsair (CMFSL3X1-64GB) Flash Voyager Slider X1 64GB USB 3.0 Capless Sliding Flash Drive

Last edited:
Is the PSU old? Do you have another you can borrow, so you at least can rule out PSU issue.

Also: try to log voltages on motherboard while in use, see if all voltages keeps within specs. Can use OCCT for that.

CIGAARR

Reputable
Oct 14, 2019
The Power Supply Unit was purchased 1 year 10 months ago, but probally was installed a good few months after that. So its probally been in use for about a year and a half.
I unfortunatly do not have a spare PSU to test it with.

As for the voltages, im not really sure what volts things are meant to be at, but here is a screenshot of OCCT at idle.

P.S my PC turned itself off and on about 4 times this morning whilst booting.

OCCT Idle Voltage Screenshot:
View: https://imgur.com/edwoNEl

Last edited:

CIGAARR

Reputable
Oct 14, 2019
Ok, so that means no load required to trigger the fault. Not typical symptom for faulty PSU.

Let see, you replaced the mobo and GPU. So I'm tempted to guess the fault is within either one of those.
I didnt replace the GPU, just the motherboard and CPU cooler.

MOBO:
ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F to a ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F

CPU COOLER:
AMD Wraith Prism (stock air cooler) to a Asus ROG STRIX LC II 360 ARGB (AIO water cooler)

Last edited:
Ah, of course. Then, I'd say it's a higher chance that the motherboard is faulty than another component.

However - you can try to run with only one ram stick at a time and see if that change the behavior to the better.

Try to disable XMP if enabled.

CIGAARR

Reputable
Oct 14, 2019
I hope its not the motherboard, I really dont want to change it again.

Removing a ram stick would be an easy test, I could check that.
When the issue first began, I did run Windows Memory Diagnostics, which gave me 0 errors.

I do have XMP enabled, again I think I did test this also when the issue first began. But to be sure ill turn it off right now, and ill report back here tommorrow when I turn my PC on.

If the issue persists, then ill try each stick of Ram individually.
I had also thought about reseating them anyway to see if that would fix it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

CIGAARR

Reputable
Oct 14, 2019
UPDATE:
After turning off the XMP setting before going to sleep yesterday, this morning when turning on the PC it booted normally with no issues.

This seems strange to me because im pretty sure that I tried this previously, with no success.

Alternatively, when I did a fresh install of windows previously that also fixed the issue for a while.
(Which made me feel like it was software related)

I'm going to leave the XMP setting off for a few more days or maybe a week, and see if the issue returns.
But ideally I would like to increase my ram speed at some point, because right now its at 2133MHz with XMP off, and the ram itself is rated for 3600MHz.

CIGAARR

Reputable
Oct 14, 2019
UPDATE:
After nearly a week since turning the XMP setting off in the bios, I can confirm that I've had zero issues since.

But now, what would be the best way to still run my Ram at the higher speeds?
Should I set the ram speed to 3600 with xmp off?
Should I set XMP on and turn down the ram speed?

I guess I need to lower the speed bit by bit until its stable, but im not sure if I should do this with xmp on or off, or if I should do that atall?

OK, it's long time since I did overclocking myself (way before XPM was a thing).

But I guess that the safest method would be to turn xpm off, and then manually crank up the speed, small steps a time - either until you notice unstability, or while still stable and stop by gut feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.