[SOLVED] PC turns off randomly

Mrkzie

Prominent
Apr 3, 2020
Hello. My PC has turned off randomly since August, and I cant figure out why. It could happen any time, but usually it happens whenever im not on the PC. I have been on the PC once when it turned off and I was just watching youtube videos. I've been able to play heavy games and nothing happening, and some days it doesnt turn off randomly.
It should be noted that I bought the MOBO used in March 2020.
I also bought a new PSU (not used) in April 2020.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

PC Specs:

CPU:
I7-4790k
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Pro
MOBO: ASUS Maximus VII Hero
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1866 CL10 Memory
Storage: Kingston 120GB, Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB, Toshiba 1TB HDD (Windows on Kingston SSD)
GPU: ASUS Geforce GTX 1660 SUPER DUAL EVO
PSU: ENERMAX MAXPRO II 600W

Solution
Hey there,

Typically random restarts like that, point to a PSU issue. You have said yours is a new one. Have you another PSU you could swap out/borrow to test? It could be that the new PSU is faulty.

Maybe just double check cables and make sure everything is connected correctly. I guess it's possible it's the mobo, but the signs point to PSU. It's not a great one, as far as I can see.
Hey there,

Typically random restarts like that, point to a PSU issue. You have said yours is a new one. Have you another PSU you could swap out/borrow to test? It could be that the new PSU is faulty.

Maybe just double check cables and make sure everything is connected correctly. I guess it's possible it's the mobo, but the signs point to PSU. It's not a great one, as far as I can see.

Solution

Mrkzie

Prominent
Apr 3, 2020
Hey there,

Hello and thanks for answering. I dont have another PSU to borrow or test with so thats the issue. I guess I would be able to RMA the current PSU.
I have double checked the cables in the PC several times, tried unplugging and plugging back in cables and making sure every component is sitting correctly. As far as you know there is no other way to know what is wrong with the PC? Could it be Windows or is that out of the question?

Hello and thanks for answering. I dont have another PSU to borrow or test with so thats the issue. I guess I would be able to RMA the current PSU.
I have double checked the cables in the PC several times, tried unplugging and plugging back in cables and making sure every component is sitting correctly. As far as you know there is no other way to know what is wrong with the PC? Could it be Windows or is that out of the question?

Hey there,

Well, you've hit the nail right on the head. There is no way to tell exactly. Other than to test and rule out each part. We make educated guesses as th what is causing the issue based on the info you provide.

Another alternative is to bring to a local repair store, and get them to swap out PSU and test. This might only cost about £$€20. So it's a good option, rather than spending money on a new PSU, when you're not 100% sure that it's the culprit.

Mrkzie

Prominent
Apr 3, 2020
Hey there,

Well, you've hit the nail right on the head. There is no way to tell exactly. Other than to test and rule out each part. We make educated guesses as th what is causing the issue based on the info you provide.

Another alternative is to bring to a local repair store, and get them to swap out PSU and test. This might only cost about £$€20. So it's a good option, rather than spending money on a new PSU, when you're not 100% sure that it's the culprit.

I'll buy a new PSU and return the one I have and time will tell if it was the PSU or not. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead