PC turns off when i run powerful games

Feb 28, 2018
Hi, i have a problem, when i start to run powerful games my computer is shutting down and rebooting, i thing the fault is the GPU, because when i do stress test to CPU its fine.
My computer is an HP Z800 a bit modified, added 48gb ram, 1080 TI, the PSU is an HP Z800 850W, what could be the problem?
Please guys, i dont know what to do, the GPU is not overheating or any other component.
If you can help me, please comment

Solution
alexu1965 The graphics card overheating would not cause your system to restart, however CPU overheating would. Since you already eliminated that possibility by reporting the CPU temps, then there are two other likely causes: One is the power supply, but the other (and more likely) is excess heat from your GPU, causing your motherboard's VRM or northbridge and southbridge to restart your system.

How to test
: Open the side of your computer case. Place it on it's side, so that the motherboard is facing the ceiling. Then get a standing or desk fan, and point it towards the motherboard. Then game and see if the computer still restarts. Also, while you're at it please take a few photos of the inside of your case, upload them to...
I'm thinking power supply. When you play a game, the videocard is stressed and that causes it to demand more power from the power supply. When you stress test a CPU that does NOT cause the videocard to demand more power. This depends on the specific test of course.

A way to test this theory of mine is to stress test the GPU, but don't use a game. Use something like Furmark or Catzilla. This will cause the videocard to demand lots of power. If your power supply can't handle the demand, you'll see a problem.

Feb 28, 2018

I ran Furmark, i unchecked "shutdown at critical error", it works, but, after a while, it starts to reboot again, now, i installed windows 10, i tried again and is the same problem...

alexu1965 The graphics card overheating would not cause your system to restart, however CPU overheating would. Since you already eliminated that possibility by reporting the CPU temps, then there are two other likely causes: One is the power supply, but the other (and more likely) is excess heat from your GPU, causing your motherboard's VRM or northbridge and southbridge to restart your system.

How to test
: Open the side of your computer case. Place it on it's side, so that the motherboard is facing the ceiling. Then get a standing or desk fan, and point it towards the motherboard. Then game and see if the computer still restarts. Also, while you're at it please take a few photos of the inside of your case, upload them to imgur and share the link here. I'd like to get a look at your case's airflow.

Solution