Question PC Turns on and Off swapped every component but can't fix

FrannyPanny

Reputable
Apr 3, 2020
My PC just shut down when I was in the shower and wouldn't turn back on. I had this PC for 2 years at that point and this happened in October 2019. At first, I thought the motherboard was broken but it was the PSU (no power coming from it), so I replaced the PSU. The motherboard lights up but when I try to turn it on the fans spin then stop immediately. I tried clearing CMOS, booting outside case, booting with no GPU, booting with no drives, and just one stick of RAM in DIMM_A2. Same problem. I then bought a new motherboard and went through the same process. Same problem. I did this with new RAM, a new CPU but nothing works. I keep getting the same problem. I've tried reseating multiple times but now I honestly have no clue what's wrong with my PC.
Edit: It won't post.

Specs (Old / New):

CPU: i7-7700k / i7-7700k
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z270-A / ASUS STRIX Z270F GAMING
GPU: EVGA Geforce Gtx 1080
PSU: Hydro G 650W 80+ Gold / beQuiet 700w 80+ Bronze
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8) 2400Mhz DDR4 / G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16GB (2x8) 3600Mhz DDR4

Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds to me like short circuit... happen to me 5 years ago using stuped Thermaltake Cpu cooler... (thermaltake worst **** ever!).
If its not your psu, check very carefully your cooler and case...
If you can take out just the needed hardware and boot it up outside the case with different cooler (if possible), stress it and leave it to work like that.. for a day maybe and you will know.

FrannyPanny

Reputable
Apr 3, 2020
Sounds to me like short circuit... happen to me 5 years ago using stuped Thermaltake Cpu cooler... (thermaltake worst **** ever!).
If its not your psu, check very carefully your cooler and case...
If you can take out just the needed hardware and boot it up outside the case with different cooler (if possible), stress it and leave it to work like that.. for a day maybe and you will know.
I’m certain it isn’t the Psu because I did the paperclip trick and measured with a multimeter and it works fine. It seems the cooler may be the problem. I don’t have a spare one so i guess I have to order or borrow one then test it out

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Considering that you changed everything to no avail is indeed puzzling. When you tried to boot with the motherboard outside the case, was it hooked to the case power switch? I am wondering if the problem could come from the front panel switches of the case...

FrannyPanny

Reputable
Apr 3, 2020
Considering that you changed everything to no avail is indeed puzzling. When you tried to boot with the motherboard outside the case, was it hooked to the case power switch? I am wondering if the problem could come from the front panel switches of the case...
No it isn't hooked to the case power switch. I'm turning it on from the front panel IO.

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Then the only thing remaining from your old computer would be the CPU cooler... Which cooler do you have on this 7700K?

Now, what I fear is that a faulty component fried your first MoBo/PSU, then fried the second MoBo when hooked into it.

Last possibility is that you've got terribly unlucky and got another faulty part when you replaced the old one,...

FrannyPanny

Reputable
Apr 3, 2020
Then the only thing remaining from your old computer would be the CPU cooler... Which cooler do you have on this 7700K?

Now, what I fear is that a faulty component fried your first MoBo/PSU, then fried the second MoBo when hooked into it.

Last possibility is that you've got terribly unlucky and got another faulty part when you replaced the old one,...
The current cooler is the Cryorig H5 Universal. I've just ordered a new CPU cooler and am now praying that one of the new components hasn't gotten faulty. But would the PC post without a CPU cooler? Would turn on for around 5 seconds or so or does it just shut off immediately?

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
I'm thinking... could you have a look at your old motherboard's CPU socket to see if you can notice any missing pin...
I'm wondering if a pin could have fused to the CPU, which could have then broken the same pin of the new motherboard when put into it... It's a bit far-fetched, but at this point I wouldn't rule out any options, even the strangest ones!

FrannyPanny

Reputable
Apr 3, 2020
I'm thinking... could you have a look at your old motherboard's CPU socket to see if you can notice any missing pin...
I'm wondering if a pin could have fused to the CPU, which could have then broken the same pin of the new motherboard when put into it... It's a bit far-fetched, but at this point I wouldn't rule out any options, even the strangest ones!
I don't see any missing pins. This is a really weird situation. I really wished it was just a psu problem.

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Okay, time to try something even weirder... Could you try to plug you computer in another electrical outlet in the house, preferably on a different circuit than the current one? You could try the ones on the kitchen counter for example, just in case the problem isn't the computer.

FrannyPanny

Reputable
Apr 3, 2020
Okay, time to try something even weirder... Could you try to plug you computer in another electrical outlet in the house, preferably on a different circuit than the current one? You could try the ones on the kitchen counter for example, just in case the problem isn't the computer.
Tried this in the living room but the same problem persists.

FrannyPanny

Reputable
Apr 3, 2020
Update:
I set up the new CPU cooler (an Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo) and unfortunately, the PC still won't boot. I am now terribly confused on the problem, since every component that is required to start the PC up, has been swapped for a new one. I am now thinking if there is any compatibility issues.

Update:
I set up the new CPU cooler (an Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo) and unfortunately, the PC still won't boot. I am now terribly confused on the problem, since every component that is required to start the PC up, has been swapped for a new one. I am now thinking if there is any compatibility issues.

Have you tried (as I suggested) taking out the necessary components from the Case, and try running them on the open, to be sure its not the CASE at fault.

Well now that is amazing thing... that reminds me of... two components (used and brand new) having the same problem and making a person go thru everything 10 times... Also there was Nvidia GTX 580 completely not working with a certain X470 Asus Mobo (580 completely fine).

Is it possible one of the new components to came in faulty? Or the unthinkable the cpu to be dead...

Note...I'm out of ideas as well...

FrannyPanny

Reputable
Apr 3, 2020
I've just tried the paper clip trick with my power supply and something odd is happening. When the paper clip is in pin 15-16 and I turn on the power supply fans don't turn on and no power is coming out. But when I turn off the power supply the fans start spinning and turn off again just like in the video I sent here. Could this be a faulty PSU?

Last edited: