Question PC turns on, but everything else stays off.

Trinityz

Commendable
Feb 15, 2019
This is a call to the IT gods.

I turned off my computer before leaving to the gym, as I usually do. When I came back, my computer stopped working. I can power up my computer, and everything inside the case appears to be working. Everything else however does not work. My monitor isn't getting any signal, my mouse and keyboard are not lighting up.

I figured it could be dust in-between the plugs or just detached cables. I checked and cleaned everything but unfortunately that didn't help.

Not sure what the issue here is. It could be the motherboard or PSU. The PSU seems to be working fine as everything is getting powered up and I can even connect my USB phone charger to my PC and it will still charge my phone. This is not a guarantee that the PSU is not defect, but it gives me the impressions that it's just the motherboard that is <Mod Edit>.

Any advice?

Specs:
Cpu AMD Ryzen 2600x
GPU MSI 1070ti
16GB ram ddr4 from vengeance lpx
PSU Seasonic gold 650v
Motherboard Aorus x570 elite
Windows

Last edited by a moderator:

hlz

Oct 28, 2021
Try to unplug power and clear CMOS. And try again.
From what you are saying, it turns on, but doesn't post.
Some times, CMOS can get screwed up. If this is the case. It's a good idea to change the CR2032 battery too.

After unplugging the power, it's a good idea to keep pressing a button (power, for example), for a minute, to make sure the mobo's capacitors get totally empty.

Last edited:

Trinityz

Commendable
Feb 15, 2019
Try to unplug power and clear CMOS. And try again.
From what you are saying, it turns on, but doesn't post.
Some times, CMOS can get screwed up. If this is the case. It's a good idea to change the CR2032 battery too.

After unplugging the power, it's a good idea to keep pressing a button (power, for example), for a minute, to make sure the mobo's capacitors get totally empty.
Thank you for your reply!

I changed the CMOS battery with a new one. Nothing :S

All of a sudden my PC decided not to power up my monitor etc. I can hear it spinning etc. But that's about it.

hlz

Oct 28, 2021
Ok. To change the CMOS battery not aways is enough. Some times, you need to plug a jumper or press a button for one minute or more.

Some things you can try:
  • if you have a spare cheap videocard, try to boot with it;
  • try to book with only one memory stick
  • unplug every USB device before trying to boot;

This is all I can think of now, before going to options like trying a different PSU.

I don't think the CPU is dead or with bad contact, since, in these cases, the mobo don't power on.
For me, a bad contact or a burnt GPU is a possibility.
If there is some beep, mobo's manual normally have a section describing what each beep code sequence means.

This is a very good spec you have. Strange that you are having this proble.
Wish you good luck!

Trinityz

Commendable
Feb 15, 2019
Ok. To change the CMOS battery not aways is enough. Some times, you need to plug a jumper or press a button for one minute or more.

Some things you can try:
  • if you have a spare cheap videocard, try to boot with it;
  • try to book with only one memory stick
  • unplug every USB device before trying to boot;
This is all I can think of now, before going to options like trying a different PSU.

I don't think the CPU is dead or with bad contact, since, in these cases, the mobo don't power on.
For me, a bad contact or a burnt GPU is a possibility.
If there is some beep, mobo's manual normally have a section describing what each beep code sequence means.

This is a very good spec you have. Strange that you are having this proble.
Wish you good luck!
I tried your tips to no avail, but I found something interesting. There are two red lights blinking on the motherboard. The CPU red light is lit for like 1 second and then the DRAM red light lights up for 0.1 seconds. The lights alter back and forth.