PC turns on but keeps rebooting.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mopar44o

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Hello,
My PC has the following components

Gigabyte 970A-UD3P
AMD-X6 FX-6300
8 gigs of Corsair XMS3 ram DDR3

Recently when I turn it on it it will try to boot up 5-6 times before it shuts off and then tries again in 5-6 min

It beeps once and gets to a bios screen (not fully loaded) before it reboots. It just says Gigabyte UEFI Dual bios at the top of the screen.

One time I saw it say something about bios being corrupted. and looked like a progress bar was going through some process but it rebooted before I could read it all.

I'm assuming there is some sort of BIOS issue clearly.

I tried removing the ram no go, removed and replaced the cmos battery (tested the old one in an appliance it and works)

Maluco4660

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016

The issue itself can be a lot of things, i'm trying to guide you to one common diagnose for the related symptoms.

mopar44o

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Its booting past the bios now... I fixed that when I reset the bios with that proceedure i listed above.. It now boots into windows but after a while it just shuts down. I then reboot and it will go back to windows again. I'm not getting hung up at the bios anymore. It's just a random shutdown.

Maluco4660

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016
The issue that got you stuck at bios could be the lack of some boot device at the boot list, once the HDD fails, it's not sure he comes back fully functional right after computer reset. That case the computer keeps trying to reach the HDD.

Try testing with the portable system/ubuntu live, and let us know what happens.

mopar44o

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
I thought it was that the bios was corrupt. Was I reset it it hasn't been an issue since. Either way its still installing whatever update windows has... Surprised its taking this long. When its done I'll try to boot from the jump drive version cloned from my laptop

mopar44o

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
So I booted it off my jump drive.. Its slow... kind of expected it to be... I don't seem to have access to my original hard drives.. Just the data on the jump drive.

But when I look at device manager I can see my other 2 drives

/////

K figured out how to turn those drives on... Time to mess around with files for a bit

mopar44o

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
So I activated the drive.. selected the drive and ran a scan of it (figured it was the best way to use every file on the drive. Took forever but no issues with the computer)

even copied a few files here and there.

Maluco4660

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016

Try to replace your sata cable and check the sata connections, include the hdd energy plug to the check .

mopar44o

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Ran the it for a while. Was doing some scans and stuff. Went to the bathroom and it was off when I came back so looked like it shut down again.

Any other ideas? Im getting close to droping it off at a tech soon.

mopar44o

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
So I was looking at event logs for shut downs...

The process C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe (DESKTOP-AD9MOV1) has initiated the power off of computer DESKTOP-AD9MOV1 on behalf of user DESKTOP-AD9MOV1\mopar for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
Reason Code: 0x500ff
Shut-down Type: power off

It says power off. Does that mean someone is pushing power off? and if soo then maybe my power button is fubar on my case?

Maluco4660

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016
Yeah, i asked you to test a lot of useless things, sorry kkk i thought it was a shutdown like 'lack of energy shutdown'.

I don't think it's your button because you managed to perform an entire harddrive test with the portable system.
Anyway, try to remove the button from the motherboard after turn the computer on, just to be sure about the button.

And, in that case, i think it's valid you trying to verify for viruses.
Would be great to verify for scheduled tasks(verify at windows tasks) too, verify if have any task sending the command.
I can explain the last part better when i reach home.

mopar44o

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
The only hit in all my scans was kmspico. I had to install it when the update wouldn't take my windows 7 key. Unless there is something else the scans missed or I installed a bad version of it loaded with something. I uninstalled it now.

mopar44o

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Man I'm so sick of windows 10... I shut my pc down a while ago because it seemed to be running fine. 10 mins ago I hear it turn itself on for no reason. Nothing I know was scheduled...

Maluco4660

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016

try to remove the button from the motherboard after turn the computer on, just to be sure about the button.
It should be right under the 24pin connector.

Can you test it ?

mopar44o

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
So I disconnected the power button and its been running for a few hours without shutting off.... Im running a full scan now just to use some cpu power and see what it does...