Question Pc turns on but wont turn off and no bootup

DragonBrent

Prominent
Mar 20, 2021
I decided to move my pc about 30cm to get more space, so i turned my pc off via windows, flicked the power switch and pressed the power button for 5 seconds (to let all the power out). When it was moved i flicked the switch and tried to turn it on, but now only the fans spin and nothing shows up on my monitor and the lights on my keyboard dont light up. It also does not turn off again even if im holding the power button (the button just flashes when i hold it for about 5 seconds) hardware: aorus b550 elite, nvidea gtx 1660, 2x vangeance 8 gb ram 3200 mhz, ryzen 5 6500x, be quiet 700 watt power supply. Last used on windows 10 pro

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Having moved the PC, double check that none of the external connections pulled loose - they could still be in place but not fully connected.

Likewise, the move may have caused a disconnection inside the the computer.

You will need to power down, unplug, and open the case.

Clean out dust and debris if necessary.

Then by sight and feel verify that all cards, cables, connections, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

= = ==

That said, you really did not need to hold the power button for 5 seconds "to let the power out" when physically moving the computer.

What was the reason or source information for doing so?

Are you able to get into BIOS?

You may have cleared the BIOS settings back to some default values that do not match the build.

DragonBrent

Prominent
Mar 20, 2021
I have reseated the ram and the gpu. I also tried to remove and put the "little battery" on the motherboard to reset the bios, because this solved a different issue i had a while ago. (Almost the same issue but with a different motherboard, cpu and power supply). This kind of worked because now i can turn the pc on and off again. I built this pc with some help of a friend so i dont think there is a wrong BIOS setting. I have also checked for the rest of the cables and parts and everything that i can see is seated correctly. I cant see the cpu. And still nothing shows up at my monitor or my keyboard light, like numlock, wont light up. So i cannot get into BIOS

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
If you have a multi-meter, back-probe the PS_GOOD line on the ATX connector while it is connected to the motherboard to see if it rises to 5V. If it doesn't, then your PC is stuck in reset state because the PSU failed internal checks. I've only seen this particular failure once.

DragonBrent

Prominent
Mar 20, 2021
If you have a multi-meter, back-probe the PS_GOOD line on the ATX connector while it is connected to the motherboard to see if it rises to 5V. If it doesn't, then your PC is stuck in reset state because the PSU failed internal checks. I've only seen this particular failure once.
We do not have a multi-meter so i cannot check that

DragonBrent

Prominent
Mar 20, 2021
THE PROBLEM IS FIXED. I turned it on again to see if something changed and i do think that removing that battery did 1 of the tricks, because of that the pc worked like usual, and the keyboard lights did turn on. Then the second problem no signal on my monitor thats because my cable is broken well almost because it works at some angles. So the reason why j wanter to move my pc is for a second monitor and when i buy that said monitor i will also buy a new cable. Thank you for trying to help and helping me learn the roots of posting a threat!