Question PC turns on by itself | Windows 10

Jul 24, 2020
Hello. So recently I've bought new SSD and installed Windows 10 on it. After several weeks of using it everything was fine. Then I managed to turn off hibernate via CMD using 'powercfg /hibernate off'. After this, my PC started to turn on by itself after turning it off. It could be at any time (not just night). Later on, I reset my power settings. I've tried turning off Fast startup, disabled the 'Allow Wake Timers' option, disabled automatic restart, disabled automatic maintenance, disabled scheduled updates; When I check on 'powercfg waketimers', there are no timers set.

When I unplug SSD from motherboard, my PC never turns on by itself. So as I imagine, this is SSD's fault? I've tried soooo many different things to turn off (related to this problem), but nothing helped... Are there any other possibilities for me to try to turn off or change on my computer or I need to do the worst - reinstall my windows?

Thank you in advance! I'd really appreciate any help.

Event viewer:

Energy report (only errors):

Last edited:
Hello. So recently I've bought new SSD and installed Windows 10 on it. After several weeks of using it everything was fine. Then I managed to turn off hibernate via CMD using 'powercfg /hibernate off'. After this, my PC started to turn on by itself after turning it off. It could be at any time (not just night). Later on, I reset my power settings. I've tried turning off Fast startup, disabled the 'Allow Wake Timers' option, disabled automatic restart, disabled automatic maintenance, disabled scheduled updates; When I check on 'powercfg waketimers', there are no timers set.

When I unplug SSD from motherboard, my PC never turns on by itself. So as I imagine, this is SSD's fault? I've tried soooo many different things to turn off (related to this problem), but nothing helped... Are there any other possibilities for me to try to turn off or change on my computer or I need to do the worst - reinstall my windows?

Thank you in advance! I'd really appreciate any help.

Event viewer:

Energy report (only errors):
What happens when you turn power right off and than on ?

Well I did unplug it from wall (it was turned off), long pressed the power button for 20 secs, then plugged back and run it. Everything is like it was before. What should I've expected?
I thought that there could be a setting in BIOS to start up automatically after power loss but if you had to press start button that wasn't the case.
Let's see if it's because of windows setting, run this line
%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -f -t 00
and see if it stays off.

Reactions: lukasz456
Jul 24, 2020
I thought that there could be a setting in BIOS to start up automatically after power loss but if you had to press start button that wasn't the case.
Let's see if it's because of windows setting, run this line
%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -f -t 00
and see if it stays off.
Well I've been waiting till this time, and it has stayed off. Well I might leave turned off with these settings over night, but I'm pretty sure I would have turned off after 20 - 40min. By using these settings, does that mean it is because of windows settings? And what could be done else? Thank you.

Well I've been waiting till this time, and it has stayed off. Well I might leave turned off with these settings over night, but I'm pretty sure I would have turned off after 20 - 40min. By using these settings, does that mean it is because of windows settings? And what could be done else? Thank you.
It works once only but it also shows that your settings for shutdown might not be right. Go to Control Panel>Power options and on left side "Choose what power buttons do" see if Power button is set to "Shut down".
You can also make a desktop shortcut/link using that line as Target

Reactions: lukasz456
Jul 24, 2020
It works once only but it also shows that your settings for shutdown might not be right. Go to Control Panel>Power options and on left side "Choose what power buttons do" see if Power button is set to "Shut down".
I did make a desktop shortcut and I will try using it. I will reply with the results whether it turned on or not after leaving it over night. The 'Power button' has already been set to 'Shut down'.
Thank you.

Jul 24, 2020
Well, after three hours my PC turned on (I turned it off using your command). What would be the conclusion for that? And are there any further steps to fix this problem? As I understood from your post, this would be not because of the windows settings? Thank you.

Well, after three hours my PC turned on (I turned it off using your command). What would be the conclusion for that? And are there any further steps to fix this problem? As I understood from your post, this would be not because of the windows settings? Thank you.
Well, windows sleep mode is out of question because you turned off everything that can make it work. That (I think) leaves only some BIOS setting but maybe you can try another thing. Make another windows account (Guest for instance) and exit from it by shutting down.

Jul 24, 2020
Well, windows sleep mode is out of question because you turned off everything that can make it work. That (I think) leaves only some BIOS setting but maybe you can try another thing. Make another windows account (Guest for instance) and exit from it by shutting down.
Thank you for your response. I made a new guest account, then while I was in guest account I turned it off normally, by pressing on Shut down, but after barely 15 minutes it turned on again.