Question PC turns on, fan spins, no display.

Aug 26, 2022
Hello, I hope someone can help me. My PC has recently just randomly froze and went black on the screen then my fans start spinning on high speed and the power button does not shut it off. I then switch it off behind with the switch next to the power supply but then it still does not boot on but the fans just keeps spinning. Only after a while it will go on just to crash again.

I have taken out my only RAM stick and make it run till it does the crash again even though it has no display because there is no RAM but I still can't turn it off with the power button. I have replaced the thermal paste and clean dust out of the PC it worked for a short while but still just crash. Some days it will run for quite a long time especially when playing a game like rimworld but the next day it will not and just crashes again, it is very random.

Pc specs:
ASRock B450M - HDV
AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Vega 11
8GB DDR4 3200MHz Ballistix Ram
Corsair CV550

Please help

Last edited:
With no RAM installed it can't run, or crash, or do anything else, because it can't without RAM installed. With no RAM installed the only thing happening is the board sitting in error mode due to the lack of RAM. If the power is staying on even when you turn off the switch on the power supply then you have a bad power supply which isn't surprising since that CV is a really cheap unit. My recommendation would be, get a better power supply.

Aug 26, 2022
With no RAM installed it can't run, or crash, or do anything else, because it can't without RAM installed. With no RAM installed the only thing happening is the board sitting in error mode due to the lack of RAM. If the power is staying on even when you turn off the switch on the power supply then you have a bad power supply which isn't surprising since that CV is a really cheap unit. My recommendation would be, get a better power supply.

Thx, what I meant by crashing with ram out is that It goes into the weird mode with fans spinning full or extremely low and I cant switch it off with the power button.

I was suspecting the psu, I really hope it is the psu, thank you for setting my mind at ease😁 I appreciate it!

Not 100% conclusively, but it sure makes it a lot more likely. Motherboard can cause system to not turn on at all, and so can the switch on the front of the case. If possible, test it with paperclip and if it actually turns on then test it with multimeter. If you don't have a multimeter you can maybe borrow one from somebody or get a cheap one someplace like Walmart or Harbor freight for like five bucks.

If it turns out the power supply IS good, and just because it "turns on" doesn't always mean it is good, you can eliminate the case switch by jumping the pins on the motherboard.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixcWCrYpw3Y

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7YMUcMjbw