PC turns on for a second and keeps trying

Sep 28, 2018
Hi, my PC won't turn on. It starts up about 1 or 2 seconds, the fans spin, then stop. There is a clicking sound from the PSU and it repeats forever. Nothing comes up on screen.

So far I have tried:
Swapping PSU - same thing, it makes the clicking sound again
Taking out GPU and RAM and anything else not needed
Swapping CMOS battery

Motherboard is ASRock Z97. CPU is Intel i5 Quadcore 3.2GHz. I wondered if you had advice to find out which component it is. Thank you.

quixoticduck

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Did you manage to fix this? It must be either your CPU or motherboard I'd have thought. There'd probably be a beep code error if it was the CPU I think? Motherboard should be cheaper to replace. Not sure what you'd do if you bought a new motherboard and it didn't fix things though. Not sure if you'd be able to return it...

can be a ram failure...mb cant set the ram speed so you get an over clock failure that causes the mb to go into a reboot. when i would do is pull the mb from the case and with one ram stick and no gpu see if it posts. if there no post and it goes into the same reboot try another ram stick. try the stick in each ram slot. if there no change i would see if your mb is under warranty, look to see if it has bad cap. if you have a local shop ask them to put a post it card on it see where it stops and reboots it tell you if it the mb/ram or cpu.

Sep 28, 2018

There is no beep error (it does not beep at all) - thanks for highlighting that.

Thanks, I will try that