Question PC turns on for a split-second then shuts off. Works fine after turned off and on at outlet ?

Apr 1, 2023
This is my first post and not sure if this is the right thread forum. Sorry if it isn't.

So sometimes when I go to turn my pc on the fans, and less go on for a split second and then turn off. The first time this happened I tried to power it up again and pressed the power button, nothing happened. I then switched it off and on at the wall outlet switch and then tried turning it on. It powered up fine and there were no issues while the pc on.

I have disconnected and reconnected all the PSU cables and made sure all my software is up to date but nothing is really helping. This also doesn't happen all the time. If the pc is turned off and on in time periods close together it doesn't happen. It usually happens after leaving it over night or for a few hours. It also worked fine for one week and then started again.

I have also tried leaving it off at the wall and turning it on when I get home, this worked a few times but one time it did the same thing and failed to start twice before powering up normally.

The pc never shuts off when on its only when booting.

I don't know what's wrong with it and if a should be worried about it.

I looked at this forum https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/computer-turns-on-for-a-split-second-then-shuts-off.544734/
Which is quite similar but I usually only need to turn the outlet on and off once so I'm not sure if it's the same.

Idk if this is important but around the time the issue started I got a new keyboard. It's an American one and I love in the UK but I doubt that would cause an issue?? It's just the only new thing around the time the issue started.

This pc is my first build and consists of:
CPU: intel core i5 13600kf
CPU cooler: deepcool ak620
PSU: Corsair rm850 80+ gold full modular
GPU: gigabyte gaming Oc RX 6700xt 12gb
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME SSD
Memory: Kingston FURY Beast 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR5-5200 CL40
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z790-P WIFI ATX LGA1700
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower

Link to build:https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/BTrrxr
Video of issue: https://www.sta.sh/01j9vdugi5r5

Build is around 3 months old.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might be having a grounding issue if you constantly need to power off from the wall. Try and relocate to another wall outlet. Do you feel a mild tingling sensation when you touch the metal part of your chassis and your feet are touching a (non-wooden, non carpeted)tiled floor?

Idk if this is important but around the time the issue started I got a new keyboard. It's an American one and I love in the UK but I doubt that would cause an issue??
No it wouldn't though a badly built keyboard with bad wiring can cause issues.

Reactions: Zumiku
Apr 1, 2023

You might be having a grounding issue if you constantly need to power off from the wall. Try and relocate to another wall outlet. Do you feel a mild tingling sensation when you touch the metal part of your chassis and your feet are touching a (non-wooden, non carpeted)tiled floor?

Idk if this is important but around the time the issue started I got a new keyboard. It's an American one and I love in the UK but I doubt that would cause an issue??
I will try a different outlet when I get home. I do not feel tingly unless I'm wearing like a wool jumper or something but I tend to not touch the chassis.

The keyboard is a mechanical keyboard, an akko one so I don't think it's badly made.

Apr 1, 2023

Hi,

So I have used a surge protector extension which tells me if an outlet is grounded or not and the problem persists. Also tried plugging the extension in for another outlet. So I don't think that's the issue.

Aug 23, 2023
Hi,

So I have used a surge protector extension which tells me if an outlet is grounded or not and the problem persists. Also tried plugging the extension in for another outlet. So I don't think that's the issue.
I am having the same exact issue but my PC is plugged into a power strip. were you able to get it solved?

Last edited: