[SOLVED] PC turns on, no display, UBSs don’t work?

Daft Crunk

Prominent
Jun 19, 2021
My girlfriend just bought some new parts for her computer. She got a Ryzen 5 1600x, 16gb of DDR4 RAM running at 3200mhz, and an ASUS Prime A320m-k motherboard. Her graphics card is a GTX 1650 Super. She got everything mounted, her dad helped her because she’s not very tech savvy. Everything turned on, fans spun, her wraith cooler fan spun, GPU fans spun, LEDs on the motherboard lit up, everything was working except for… no display on her monitor, and the USB ports weren’t working. They’ve tried everything. From switching things around to following the manual exactly. Remounted CPU. Thermal paste. CMOS battery. RAM. All of it, to no success. Could this be a faulty CPU? A faulty motherboard? When she plugs the HDMI in, her monitor recognizes it and says looking for a signal. But when it isn’t plugged in, it simply says no signal. However, no success still. Everything turns on, but no video display and the USB ports don’t work at all. Not even on her case. Any solutions? Never seen this problem before, and gave her all of my advice after years of PC building. Made an account on here just to try and find out what’s wrong for her.

Solution
My girlfriend just bought some new parts for her computer. She got a Ryzen 5 1600x, 16gb of DDR4 RAM running at 3200mhz, and an ASUS Prime A320m-k motherboard. Her graphics card is a GTX 1650 Super. She got everything mounted, her dad helped her because she’s not very tech savvy. Everything turned on, fans spun, her wraith cooler fan spun, GPU fans spun, LEDs on the motherboard lit up, everything was working except for… no display on her monitor, and the USB ports weren’t working. They’ve tried everything. From switching things around to following the manual exactly. Remounted CPU. Thermal paste. CMOS battery. RAM. All of it, to no success. Could this be a faulty CPU? A faulty motherboard? When she plugs the HDMI in, her monitor...
The Ryzen 5 1600x officially supports up to 2667MHz RAM. You are running a kit of OC RAM at 3200MHz and the Integrated memory controller on the chip may not like that.
Also when updating the motherboard and CPU you should clean instal the OS. You can't just put the old ssd or hdd with the old OS back in and expect it to work.
It is also advised to update the Bios and chipset for better system, USB and RAM compatibility. Download the MB bios manual for Bios update using EZ Flash3 utility.

The RAM will be stamped with a P/N so list it for the purpose of checking for a mismatch.?

Daft Crunk

Prominent
Jun 19, 2021
The Ryzen 5 1600x officially supports up to 2667MHz RAM. You are running a kit of OC RAM at 3200MHz and the Integrated memory controller on the chip may not like that.
Also when updating the motherboard and CPU you should clean instal the OS. You can't just put the old ssd or hdd with the old OS back in and expect it to work.
It is also advised to update the Bios and chipset for better system, USB and RAM compatibility. Download the MB bios manual for Bios update using EZ Flash3 utility.

The RAM will be stamped with a P/N so list it for the purpose of checking for a mismatch.?
Hi there! Thanks for the reply! I can get that P/N to you tomorrow once she’s awake. As for the rest, I’ll see what I can do. The first thing said, just to clarify, she hasn’t actually gotten the pc to boot. The RAM she’s using can go up to 3200mhz, but I don’t believe it’s actually running at that due to what you stated about the CPU itself. However, I could be wrong, I’m not super great when it comes to CPUs and RAM compatibility. I’ll send this to her and keep you updated! Thanks again!

You generally pay more for OC RAM especially with tight CL Timings.
The system will default to a safe set of values (SPD) and may default to a lower frequency than rated.
When purchasing RAM it's always best to select a kit that are listed on the MB QVL, that are tested and known to work with the MB and CPU.
OC RAM generally require you to manually set timings in Bios dramm timings and voltage.

It is a common cause of no output to monitor and shown by the troubleshoot LED for DRAM on the motherboard lighting up during POST and staying lit.

Last edited:

Daft Crunk

Prominent
Jun 19, 2021
You generally pay more for OC RAM especially with tight CL Timings.
The system will default to a safe set of values (SPD) and may default to a lower frequency than rated.
When purchasing RAM it's always best to select a kit that are listed on the MB QVL, that are tested and known to work with the MB and CPU.
OC RAM generally require you to manually set timings in Bios dramm timings and voltage.
So, she has XPG Gammix D10 RAM, which is compatible with the A320m-k from what I saw. I checked the QVL, and I also saw some videos on YouTube with people using the exact same setup as her, which confirms that they do work with one another. I don’t think the RAM is the issue, but we’re currently thinking the motherboard may be faulty. We got it from memory express, it was used originally and is not a new product. People said it was okay, but we’re not sure. See, we can’t get onto the computer. It’s not displaying any video output, despite all fans spinning and all LEDs turning on. And strangely, the USBs also aren’t working. She can use her old stuff just fine, but even following the manual, the new stuff just isn’t working and we can’t find the problem. Her dad tried doing everything a few times and even tried piece by piece to try and find out what was the issue but we got nothing. Even tried different RAM, that a friend of her’s used with the same model motherboard. So, we’re a bit stumped. It’s either the CPU or the motherboard, unless something was plugged in wrong. Seems the monitor does detect something plugging in due to the message that pops up (see OP above) however, despite trying every guide online, CMOS battery, re-seatting the CPU, different RAM, turning it off and on with and without the HDMI plugged in, the list goes on. Tried for hours. The RAM could maybe be faulty, Amazon reviews had only about one or two people saying they were sent faulty sticks, but aside from that we don’t know what to think.

I never advocate 2nd hand Motherboards as you take a huge risk and could well be your issue.

You can test your RAM using Memtest86 by booting from a USB. Run 4 passes on each individual dimm or together and if any errors at all then RMA the full kit.

Again, Please list the RAM P/N? It will be listed on the box or the DIMM.
And again: Do any troubleshooting LEDs light up on the MB?

Also the fact that USB ports are not working is of concern if all cabling and connections are fine.

Last edited:
My girlfriend just bought some new parts for her computer. She got a Ryzen 5 1600x, 16gb of DDR4 RAM running at 3200mhz, and an ASUS Prime A320m-k motherboard. Her graphics card is a GTX 1650 Super. She got everything mounted, her dad helped her because she’s not very tech savvy. Everything turned on, fans spun, her wraith cooler fan spun, GPU fans spun, LEDs on the motherboard lit up, everything was working except for… no display on her monitor, and the USB ports weren’t working. They’ve tried everything. From switching things around to following the manual exactly. Remounted CPU. Thermal paste. CMOS battery. RAM. All of it, to no success. Could this be a faulty CPU? A faulty motherboard? When she plugs the HDMI in, her monitor recognizes it and says looking for a signal. But when it isn’t plugged in, it simply says no signal. However, no success still. Everything turns on, but no video display and the USB ports don’t work at all. Not even on her case. Any solutions? Never seen this problem before, and gave her all of my advice after years of PC building. Made an account on here just to try and find out what’s wrong for her.
Things to try.
On a piece of cardboard.
Psu
Mobo
Cpu/hsf
One stick of ram in the proper slot.
Gpu
Monitor
Nothing else connected.

If no help try a different stick of ram, check the bios clear jumper, replace the bios battery, try a different monitor/cable, try a different gpu, take it to a pc shop.

Solution