[SOLVED] pc turns on only when i press on motherboard

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
hi guys,

since taking my gpu out, been having problems switching my pc on. it worked all last night on its own.

i just tried switching it on this morning and it did the whole part power going to motherboard again, while i was looking around the motherboard, i noticed there was one screw missing to the pc case that the motherboard goes on so i pressed on that part and tried to switch it on and guess what? it switched on, does that screw really make a difference?

Solution
i didnt know they do some sort of gpu support, that is a great idea but on my next build i wont be having any gpu, only integrated gpu.
i was wondering what about all the other people on their pc builds, do they have gpu support? been looking on ebay for 2nd hand build and they dont seem to have it.
i really wanted another mobo anyway for light effect instead of buying separate controllers.
Something like this can go a long way to supporting the weight of a graphics card on the motherboard. Your situation was even more extreme though because you did not have one of the motherboard screws in on the motherboard to support the weight near the graphics card so, over time, it warped the board itself. There are a bunch of...
sorry but that io cable is for the power button, is that right?
Yes. If that is not the problem I would make sure that all power cables attached to all parts are securely plugged in. It may be that a power cable in the 20+4 pin motherboard or 4 / 8 pin CPU cable came loose. There is no mechanism that disallows a computer from powering on without a graphics card that I know of so it stands to reason that power being supplied is at fault.

Reactions: froggy8

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Yes. If that is not the problem I would make sure that all power cables attached to all parts are securely plugged in. It may be that a power cable in the 20+4 pin motherboard or 4 / 8 pin CPU cable came loose. There is no mechanism that disallows a computer from powering on without a graphics card that I know of so it stands to reason that power being supplied is at fault.
i have come to the conclusion that the motherboard is warped so i need to get another one.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
What part and how much is it warped?
i made another thread called 'how easy to repair warped motherbaord' few people told me it is warped and unfixable.

its the weight of the gpu that was bending the mobo slightly and whenever i press on the mobo to bend it slightly to make that connection for it to switch on.

shame really as its a good mobo. dont really know how it happened thoguh.

i think its teh part where i didnt put on the standoff.

i made another thread called 'how easy to repair warped motherbaord' few people told me it is warped and unfixable.

its the weight of the gpu that was bending the mobo slightly and whenever i press on the mobo to bend it slightly to make that connection for it to switch on.

shame really as its a good mobo. dont really know how it happened thoguh.

i think its teh part where i didnt put on the standoff.
I would agree with you that it was most likely because years of sagging weight near where there was supposed to be a screw attaching the motherboard to the case via a standoff. In the next build consider also supporting the GPU end to prevent sagging over time as well. This will take a lot of the strain off the motherboard PCB and PCIe slot. As far as fixing the PCB, it can be done but is almost certainly not worth your time. You would need to figure out what trace on the motherboard is damaged and complete the circuit by soldering either more trace or some copper wire from before the damage to past the damage on the board.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
I would agree with you that it was most likely because years of sagging weight near where there was supposed to be a screw attaching the motherboard to the case via a standoff. In the next build consider also supporting the GPU end to prevent sagging over time as well. This will take a lot of the strain off the motherboard PCB and PCIe slot. As far as fixing the PCB, it can be done but is almost certainly not worth your time. You would need to figure out what trace on the motherboard is damaged and complete the circuit by soldering either more trace or some copper wire from before the damage to past the damage on the board.
i didnt know they do some sort of gpu support, that is a great idea but on my next build i wont be having any gpu, only integrated gpu.
i was wondering what about all the other people on their pc builds, do they have gpu support? been looking on ebay for 2nd hand build and they dont seem to have it.
i really wanted another mobo anyway for light effect instead of buying separate controllers.

Something like this can go a long way to supporting the weight of a graphics card on the motherboard. Your situation was even more extreme though because you did not have one of the motherboard screws in on the motherboard to support the weight near the graphics card so, over time, it warped the board itself. There are a bunch of different products that help with graphics card support and sagging. The one I linked is just very obvious on what and how it does its job so its more illustrative to its purpose.

Solution

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Something like this can go a long way to supporting the weight of a graphics card on the motherboard. Your situation was even more extreme though because you did not have one of the motherboard screws in on the motherboard to support the weight near the graphics card so, over time, it warped the board itself. There are a bunch of different products that help with graphics card support and sagging. The one I linked is just very obvious on what and how it does its job so its more illustrative to its purpose.
think its better if i dont put any gpu in as the motherboard i am getting is really good.