Question PC unable to boot after wiping drives and attempting to boot with windows 10 install CD ?

xeryl

Prominent
Sep 17, 2022
{Moderator Note: Edited post to break up solid paragraph of text and to remove profanity. OP - this is a family friendly forum - no profanity.]

Dear tomshardware forums,
I come to you in a time of great need. My PC has failed me once again; or perhaps I've failed it. I've never claimed to be tech-savvy so i come unto you all to berate me for being so dumb.

I recently decided I was going to try to get Windows 11 officially after doing some weird github script to bypass its tpm and secure boot requirements even though i technically already met them; i guess i just didnt know back when i did it. I wanted to get it officially because I'm missing out on the latest 22h2 update. My drives are all cluttered with nonsense from over a few years of gaming, so I decided to do a full reset. I went into the setup wizard, cleared my drives, and when windows restarted itself after part of the setup wizard, I decided to go into the bios and disable the last thing I hadn't already disabled because it was finnicky to do already, the CSM.

I then restarted my PC and threw in the ol' Windows 10 install CD thinking that windows 11 hadn't already installed itself. I wiped all the drives again in the install wizard for windows 10, turned off my monitor and took a small nap. I woke up to find that windows 10 seemingly just got done once I turned the monitor back on. I eagerly awaited the setup until ....... nothing. I pressed the power button, noticing that it had turned off and then the curse of purgatory began.

The fans would all start up, the leds for the motherboard would cycle as they do, checking to see if all is well. I'd get my regular light show as my PC would ramp up to boot and then it would all immediately die. Fans stop spinning, LEDS off, everything just dead. I press the power button again, it all spins up just to die again a moment later. It's been like this for several hours now and I just wanna get my computer back. It feels like I've tried everything,

I've booted without the disc, I've booted with the disc, I've tried using a **** Windows 7 disc, an empty disc, no disc at all, and everytime its almost a guaranteed nothing. Occasionally I actually boot into bios but I never make it past that. I've tried turning CSM back on againhoping it would help to no avail, I've tried reseating my ram, resetting my CMOS battery, everything. It's just the same on and off behavior and it seems like a power and/or thermal issue because i took the side panel off and i seemed to get more boots into BIOS and if i left it alone for longer periods of time then tried to turn it on id get into the BIOS most of the time but im no genius.
help me out here guys!!!

specs if it helps:
mobo: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F GAMING
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB OC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200mhz 64GB
PSU: EVGA 650BQ

i have 2 drives, 1 old *** toshiba drive 1tb and a newer 2tb WD_Black harddrive no SSDs

i would love some answers its been a rough night
P.S. - whenever i booted into the bios the only bootable drive was the disc and recently when i got into the bios it started to say there just wasnt any bootable media period hopes this helps
P.P.S dont make fun of me for my bad decisionmaking

Last edited by a moderator:

xeryl

Prominent
Sep 17, 2022
that is probably the most unhelpful thing you could have replied with; how am i supposed to start over when i can't ever turn on the system reliably and i haven't been able to get back into the install wizard??