Question PC unusually slow in specific scenarios. And sporadic BSODs!

JellyBeenz

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
My PC has been suffering a variety of problems for several weeks now:

* Sporadic blue screens, giving a variety of different stop codes. Sometimes it goes a week or two with no BSODs, other times it BSODs several times per day, often several in a row, BSOD'ing repeatedly after logging in.

* Strangely slow at times, getting stuck at specific points of mundane tasks. E.g.:

- I try a malware scan using Trend Micro HouseCall. It sticks at 3% progress ("Listing autorun entries"). PC is not frozen, the 'hourglass' continues to animate, but the elapsed time just keeps counting forever.

- Uninstalling certain applications is excruciatingly slow. Removing Adobe Photoshop Elements took maybe 20 minutes, with it taking 5+ minutes just to remove its temporary files (from the C drive which is an SSD).

- Some installers can get stuck at a certain point. One reached about "80% progress" (yes I know progress bars are often meaningless) before sticking for several minutes at the point where it was trying to create the .lnk files in the Start menu.

- When I fire up Task Manager, "System interrupts" is at 100% CPU usage for a few seconds. Other times when the PC is 'chugging' (e.g. taking an awful long time over closing an application), the process "System" is at 90%+ usage.

Maybe these symptoms will seem familiar to someone out there, or trigger an 'aha' moment...?

I've tried lots of the obvious things:
  • Updating everything, latest motherboard drivers, updated firmware, etc.
  • Disabling non-essential devices (SB Audigy card in favour of motherboard's built-in audio, etc).
  • Removing old/unneeded drivers.
  • Drive scans.
  • A different malware program, Malwarebytes, DID complete successfully. It quarantined one questionable program, a supposed "driver updater".

Other routes I'm presently going down:
  • Reverting to basic Windows drivers for the AMD graphics.
  • Possibly try a different graphics card
  • If all else fails, planning to try cloning the SSD and try booting from that.

I have examined some of the BSOD 'minidump' files - can paste some excerpts if that's helpful. I did search your forum, and I understand that varied stop codes can indicate hardware problems, which is why I went down the route of disabling drivers.

The PC doesn't seem to BSOD in Safe Mode, so you'd think I should be able to get to the bottom of this by disabling/updating potentially misbehaving drivers. But it crossed my mind that Windows's extreme slowness (as described above) could be a big clue to someone on here?

My PC is a few years old now and I know it isn't the most up-to-date model, but it didn't used to be so sluggish, and the way it gets stuck at such specific points is more than a little fishy. There's clearly something 'up'; I just wonder if the BSODs are related to the performance degradation?

PC spec:

Asus P8Z77-V-LX motherboard
Intel Core i5-3570K (3.4GHz)
8 GB RAM
GFX: ATI 7700 series
SSD: Samsung 840
HDD: ST1000DM003-9YN1
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

JellyBeenz

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Is it OCed mate? I'm thinking it seems voltage related but could be wrong?
Thanks for the suggestion. It's not overclocked unless it was pre-OD'd when I bought it.

It's been running fine for several years, and the CPU temperatures are hovering around the 40°C mark.

Any thoughts on why the PC might get stuck on that specific point of application installation for such a ludicrous length of time?
(Namely: trying to create .lnk shortcut files in the Start menu?)