[SOLVED] PC Upgrade advice

Feb 14, 2020
Hey it's been around 4 years now since i've upgraded and I think it's about time I looked at beefing it up a bit as I have been getting into some more graphically intensive games such as battlefield and modern warfare and also wanted to get into some of the recently released and upcoming single player games such as jedi fallen order and cyberpunk.

I was looking for some advice on what others would personally do as I have been debating things such as switching to an Nvidia GPU (would involve me replacing monitor with a G-Sync one) but i'm not sure if that's worth the extra money it would cost.

The parts I was mainly thinking about upgrading would be the GPU, RAM, Motherboard, bigger disk space / SSD, (new monitor if I swap to nvidia), CPU (not sure if this needs upgrading if i'm just gaming). Please give advice on other upgrades I might need though I am open to other parts being upgraded.

Budget is flexible - I am more interested to get your opinion on what you would spend and whether or not I should wait for any next gen GPU's etcetera for price drops (this upgrade is not extremely urgent)

Originally I bought my GPU to wait for a bigger upgrade but I never did

SPECS:

GPU: Sapphire AMD RX480 Nitro+ 8 GB GDDR5

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k @ 4.00GHz (can OC to 4.4)

RAM: Corsair vengeance pro series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2400MHz

MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Intel LGA1150 Z97 ATX Motherboard

MONITOR: ViewSonic XG2401 24 inch Full HD 144Hz 1ms GTG Gaming Monitor with AMD FreeSync
(1920 x 1080)

POWER SUPPLY: Corsair CP-9020015-UK Builder Series CX750 ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply Unit, 750 W

CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 Fan for Intel Processor

HDD: Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB SATA lll Desktop SATA Drive - Blue

SSD: Crucial BX100 250 GB SATA 2.5 inch Internal Solid State Drive - Grey

Again I am in no hurry to upgrade if you think I should wait for some price drops in next generation let me know thanks, i'm from the UK so any websites such as amazon i would greatly appreciate being UK version.

Solution
switching to an Nvidia GPU (would involve me replacing monitor with a G-Sync one
Not an issue anymore. Nvidia gpus support AMD Freesync monitors now.

You know what? That 4790K likely still has some life left in it. A cpu upgrade won't offer a significant speed bump over it, unless you consider a 10-20fps uplift worth it for the cost of a new cpu, motherboard, and perhaps, ram...

My 2 cents - gpu upgrade, added storage, and power supply replacement:
PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£107.32 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB AMP Extreme Video Card (£499.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650 W...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
switching to an Nvidia GPU (would involve me replacing monitor with a G-Sync one

You know what? That 4790K likely still has some life left in it. A cpu upgrade won't offer a significant speed bump over it, unless you consider a 10-20fps uplift worth it for the cost of a new cpu, motherboard, and perhaps, ram...

My 2 cents - gpu upgrade, added storage, and power supply replacement:
PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£107.32 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB AMP Extreme Video Card (£499.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£102.41 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £709.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-16 06:52 GMT+0000

Solution
Feb 14, 2020

Oh really I had no idea, that definitely makes things a lot easier thanks.

Edit: apparently that SSD isn't compatible with my motherboard (atleast according to part picker) but i'm definitely looking into the GPU and PSU you suggest and may go for a 1440p 144hz monitor as well as I feel like 1080p wouldn't be doing this card justice? Thoughts?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Edit: apparently that SSD isn't compatible with my motherboard (atleast according to part picker)
Oh?
Using an M.2 just disables 2 of the motherboard's 6 SATA ports though?

but i'm definitely looking into the GPU and PSU you suggest and may go for a 1440p 144hz monitor as well as I feel like 1080p wouldn't be doing this card justice? Thoughts?
The 2070 Super is the strongest gpu I'd consider using for 1080p. Higher than that, and the gains just aren't worth it VS the price increase.
At 1440p, if you can step up to a stronger gpu, then do that; the 2070 Super is still a great 1440p gpu though!