Question PC Upgrade Advise

GhostHUN20

Prominent
Sep 25, 2019
Hello, can someone give me some advise? I am looking for upgrading my pc and I would like to get AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Processor or 3700x, could anyone recommend a motherboard and PSU for it, I have gtx 970 Which i am planning to upgrade later on to something else. I am also looking for around 16 gb rams, and also I am planning to get an ssd later on so could anyone give some advise for mostly PSU and Motherboard which would be better for these?

Sorry for the language

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Last edited:
Grab the 3700 since the power draw is much lower than 3800 for about the same performance.

For a motherboard I would grab the ASUS Prime X570-P for the PCIe 4.0 and the solid vrm design...for memory grab the fastest w/tightest timings you can afford listed on the ASUS motherboard webpage as compatible.

PSU - any name brand 700w should be plenty and give you some room to grow when you update the GPU.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
PSU - any name brand 700w should be plenty
I respectfully disagree with this. There are plenty of branded PSUs I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. Such as ThermalTake Smart, Corsair VS, Antec VP, Cooler Master Elite, any Chieftec or Raidmax unit etc.

Equally the PCIe 4 might not be necessary for OP.
I do agree that the 3700X is an excellent shout for the money.

Last edited:

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
stating to chose any name brand especially to a novice is a poor choice of words and would lead to problems.
I remember when I used to think that 80+ gold and bronze mattered more than they should, or any PSU would do fine as long as it has enough watts for my system, i even thought everything Corsair ,EVGA or Coolermaster "makes" are great powersupply units since they are well known brands.

bottomline is

its always a good move to just inform novices or new builders not to cheap out on their PSU and be careful even when picking brand names and their PSU lineup which to pick and chose and which ones to avoid.

Its really not ideal on any given opportunity to chose a low quality PSU , even if the reason is upgrading later.
Might as well buy a decent or great quality PSU to begin with than to buy a new one when you have "better" parts, it saves you money and headache in case your sub par PSU goes crazy and kills components or just fails.
but thats not to say that there arent any good cheap powersupplies.
id say something like the M12II evo of Seasonic is good enough for mid range systems and its quite cheap too.