[SOLVED] PC upgrade compatibility

May 11, 2020
Hi there!

I'm sure people in this forum are sick of answering the same sort of questions over and over, so I apologise if this is very generic, but I am struggling to get support elsewhere and the costs involved in this are considerable.

I have (by this point) quite an old PC that I am looking to upgrade. Specifically, I am aiming to upgrade by graphics card to the Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 ti (for longevity) but in order to do this I will no doubt also need to upgrade other components (CPU specifically) but don't really understand compatibility. I have attempted to use compatibility websites but they don't seem to be helping me much.

Anyway, here is my current set-up (I've excluded gpu because it will be replaced), I've included links where possible to be precise:

Case (I add this so that simply fitting components in the case is compatible): DeepCool Tesseract SW
CPU: AMD FX-8320
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3
RAM: Corsair 16gb DDR3 1866 Mhz Vengeance
Power Supply: OCZ SZ Series 750w 80+ Bronze
CPU cooler: Cryorig CR-H7A Tower Cooler

I assume I am going to have to upgrade the CPU in order to handle the RTX 2080ti. I was thinking the i5 9600k. Is this good?

I also assume that, in order to handle this CPU, I am going to have to upgrade my motherboard? If not, please let me know. If so, any recommendations? Keep in mind case-size (and size of cpu cooler). I'm purposely not including a budget, but obviously the cheaper the better.

Also, are there any other compatibility issues? Maybe RAM would need to be upgraded?

I appreciate that this is very open, I am really quite a novice in this field. If any more information is required then please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,
Jack.

Solution
My suggestion:
CPU =Ryzen 3600,3600x,3700x,3800x,3900x = All depends on your budget.
Motherboard = b450, 470, 570 = Again, depends on your budget.
Memory = 16 gigs of DDR4 3600.

Budget build that will run that card: Ryzen 3600 = $175, b450 Tomahawk Max = $114, memory about $75
May 11, 2020
Yes, I thought as much.

But, below that I go into detail about how I would upgrade everything.

Is the i5 9600k any good?

What motherboard (if any) will be needed to upgrade to support that CPU? (Keeping case dimensions in mind)

Do I need to upgrade anything else in support of this? RAM perhaps?

kwikgta

Honorable
Feb 27, 2016
My suggestion:
CPU =Ryzen 3600,3600x,3700x,3800x,3900x = All depends on your budget.
Motherboard = b450, 470, 570 = Again, depends on your budget.
Memory = 16 gigs of DDR4 3600.

Budget build that will run that card: Ryzen 3600 = $175, b450 Tomahawk Max = $114, memory about $75

Solution
May 11, 2020
Ok, thanks for the response.

I've done some of my own research on top of your response and (from what I've found) the two options are:

Ryzen 3600 (£155) + b450 Tomahawk Max (£109) (your recommendation)

Or

i5 9600k (£200) + MSI Pro Z390-A (£130)

Plus RAM with each of course.

My question is: Obviously the second option is more expensive, but in the long-run do you think that would be a better choice? It's not much more expensive (relative to how much I would be paying for the RTX) but I wonder whether the longevity is worth that extra cost.

Also, just to clarify, I won't need to upgrade anything else?

JadeHarley

Reputable
May 11, 2018
Ok, thanks for the response.

I've done some of my own research on top of your response and (from what I've found) the two options are:

Ryzen 3600 (£155) + b450 Tomahawk Max (£109) (your recommendation)

Or

i5 9600k (£200) + MSI Pro Z390-A (£130)

Plus RAM with each of course.

My question is: Obviously the second option is more expensive, but in the long-run do you think that would be a better choice? It's not much more expensive (relative to how much I would be paying for the RTX) but I wonder whether the longevity is worth that extra cost.

Also, just to clarify, I won't need to upgrade anything else?
Ryzen here is better, you will have more money for anything else. You will not have like 30 fps with Ryzen, it's almost the same, check for the game you wanna play most on YouTube. Difference is not going to be below 60 on both. But if you are pretty rich ... you can go for Intel.

May 11, 2020
Ok, thanks for your help everyone! I'll go with the Ryzen, it seems best (especially in terms of value).

With regards to the SSD, I can certainly get one with the rest of my orders (M2 as suggested), but my question is what to use the SSD for?

I've never used an SSD before and I assume I wouldn't want to move all of my data onto one, so I wonder how best to utilise an SSD to maximise performance?

JadeHarley

Reputable
May 11, 2018
Ok, thanks for your help everyone! I'll go with the Ryzen, it seems best (especially in terms of value).

With regards to the SSD, I can certainly get one with the rest of my orders (M2 as suggested), but my question is what to use the SSD for?

I've never used an SSD before and I assume I wouldn't want to move all of my data onto one, so I wonder how best to utilise an SSD to maximise performance?
So basically, SSD is for Windows usually (and PC will turning on in 3-6 secs), you will have best performance ever with any SSD you will buy, M2, SATA, NVMe. Just install Windows on it, and some soft like Google Chrome or whatever you use and something. I use SSD NVMe for windows, a little stuff, second SATA SSD for games from steam, 1 HDD for other games and programs that don't need fast loading or being installed on SSD.