[SOLVED] PC Upgrade Path

Jun 2, 2020
Hello whoever's reading this!

Back a few years I built my very first pc, I used a Pentium G4620, Zotac mini GTX 1050, a 500W Cert. PSU, a b250m motherboard, 16gb of DDR4 and a common WD blue 1TB HHD. Since then I have upgraded my mother board to a Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, my crappy case, my PSU (which is now a 600W cooler master 80+ bronz cert. PSU), and finally my CPU cooler to a after market one.

Just by the specs you can tell it is nothing over the top xD! I was wondering what a good upgrades would be.
As of now I am looking at the RTX 2060 Super, and the i5 9600k. I want a noticeable upgrade in graphics and fps, and something that will allow me to expand in the future. (BTW I already ordered a 1tb SSD, tired of a 10 minute system power up lol. Any ideas, or different upgrades please let me know. Also I would like something that maybe supports Ray Tracing.

Thanks,

Andrew

Last edited:
Solution

Back a few years I built my very first pc, I used a Pentium G4620, Zotac mini GTX 1050, a 500W Cert. PSU, a b250m motherboard, 16gb of DDR4 and a common WD blue 1TB HHD. Since then I have upgraded my mother board to a Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, my crappy case, my PSU (which is now a 600W cooler master 80+ bronz cert. PSU), and finally my CPU cooler to a after market one.

Just by the specs you can tell it is nothing over the top xD! I was wondering what a good upgrades would be.
As of now I am looking at the RTX 2060 Super, and the i5 9600k. I want a noticeable upgrade in graphics and fps, and something that will allow me...

As of now I am looking at the RTX 2060 Super, and the i5 9600k. I want a noticeable upgrade in graphics and fps, and something that will allow me to expand in the future. (BTW I already ordered a 1tb SSD, tired of a 10 minute system power up lol. Any ideas, or different upgrades please let me know. Also I would like something that maybe supports Ray Tracing.

Thanks,

Andrew

Since you have a high end motherboard you may just want to change your CPU from the Pentium to a higher spec 7th gen i5 or an i7 (used) and replace the video card so you don't need to change the motherboard as well again. Changing the motherboard and cooler while leaving the CPU the same was not a good move, a motherboard does almost nothing for the speed of the system unless you are pushing the thing with overclocking.

Solution
Jun 2, 2020
Since you have a high end motherboard you may just want to change your CPU from the Pentium to a higher spec 7th gen i5 or an i7 (used) and replace the video card so you don't need to change the motherboard as well again. Changing the motherboard and cooler while leaving the CPU the same was not a good move, a motherboard does almost nothing for the speed of the system unless you are pushing the thing with overclocking.
Thanks for taking the time to review my question :D The reason I upgraded my motherboard was because of an issue it and the power supply had. I was playing 1 second turned my pc off before going to bed and the next morning it would not boot (turn on.) I tested the PSU and it seemed to work fine, so I figured it was the MOBO. After testing I found out it was the MOBO and I bought this upgraded one, I also decided to buy a better PSU because I thought that it might have been a contributing factor.

Anyhoo... I put a parts list together including my current parts I would like to keep on PC part picker. I was able to find all the parts I currently have and the parts I want. The only exception is my MOBO I'm using the Z370 as a substitute. (Also I reviewed my MOBO and its actually a H270 I don't quite understand the difference.) Once I selected everything as accurately as I could I received an error about BIOs, will this upgrade be alright? (I changed a the processor and added a cooler and faster DDR4.) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ttLTgJ