[SOLVED] PC upgrade tips

Mar 22, 2020
Hello. I'm looking to upgrade my PC but I don't have too much money to spend at the time. My station is pretty old, but it still does alright for studying and gaming I'd say. Here are my specs:

CPU:
Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.40GHz
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM:
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz
Motherboard:
Acer Predator G3610
GPU:
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (MSI)

My motherboard has PCI-express 2.0, and I'm wondering if buying a new GPU with PCI-express 4.0 would be unnecessary. I'm also thinking about whether or not it's necessary to invest in faster RAM.

At the time I'm playing warzone and would like to boost my framerates somewhat. It's not very important to be able to play at max settings though. I bought my PC seven years ago, but since the only issue i experience is low framerates I'm not really in the mood to do a total makeover yet.

Solution
Your CPU still performs pretty decently.
I would concider upgrading to 16gb ram. How many ram sticks do you have currently and how many slots do you have on your board?
What's the make model and wattage of your psu?

You didnt state the model of your r9 200 series card, but even a high end r9 card is pretty dated and could use an upgrade.

What's your budget (in local currency) and country?
PCIe versions are backward compatible.

What is the make, model, and wattage of your power supply?

Would be nice to get to 16GB RAM. How many RAM slots are on your motherboard? 2 or 4?

What is your upgrade budget?
What country are you shopping in?

Download GPUz to identify what the model of your GPU is R9-2xx? R9-280 perhaps?

Your CPU still performs pretty decently.
I would concider upgrading to 16gb ram. How many ram sticks do you have currently and how many slots do you have on your board?
What's the make model and wattage of your psu?

You didnt state the model of your r9 200 series card, but even a high end r9 card is pretty dated and could use an upgrade.

What's your budget (in local currency) and country?

Solution
Mar 22, 2020
My GPU is an MSI R9 270. I have 4 ram slots but my motherboard doesn't support frequencies over 1333 mHz i think. My PSU is a Andersson SG GGP 2.0 (650 W). I'm shopping in Sweden and I was thinking about spending maybe 300-400$.

This sits right in the middle of your given budget range.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (kr541.28 @ CDON SE)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB Gaming X Video Card (kr2329.00 @ CDON SE)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12III 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (kr838.00 @ CDON SE)
Total: kr3708.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-22 21:52 CET+0100

Toward the top end, you could be looking at a GTX1660 = kr2890.00

Or is it more cost effective to order from Germany? Not sure if that's even an option.

Last edited:
Could you share the review from where you found that? I've only been able to find info on the 500W/600W/etc ones which use an older platform.

My thought process behind choosing that PSU was that the OPs system with an i7-2600 and a GTX1650 Super would draw around.....225W. That PSU is their most recent S12. It's not very expensive, but I'd put it on par with the Corsair CX650 at least....That's about all I have to go by without being able to find a proper review.

Thanks for the info! It seems that it's a Seasonic platform, just that they outsourced the assembly to RSY. Is that how you interpreted it?
Well as it is translated from one language to another, there may be something lost in translation, but it does seem like they are built by RSY but designed by SeaSonic.

It probably is fine, but I wouldn't risk it without knowing. I would just stick to a CX550 or something tried and true.