[SOLVED] PC Upgrade To Ryzen 5600x

Dec 22, 2020
Hello guys.

I want to upgrade (if possible) my current setup, since I am suffering in gaming/multitasking now and I think its time to upgrade. I'd like to ask if you if its possible to do so, or I will need a complete new PC.

Main game is CSGO thats why the first big change I want to do is my CPU.

Here is my current setup:

i5-4460 3.2ghz 6mb
ASRock B85M-DGS
1x8GB Kingstone Hyper Fury DDR3 1600
GeForce GTX 1050
HDD Toshiba 1TB 32mb SATA3
SSD Samsung 860 EVO 250GB
EVGA 500W 80PLUS

My monitor is BENQ2411 @ 144hz but I plan to upgrade to 240hz in future.

I want to ask if I can use the HDD, SSD, GTX 1050 and the power supply, and buy Ryzen 5600x, motherboard for example Gigabyte B450 Elite (I'd like to use ur recommendation), buy 2x8GB new ram since I can't use the one I have and keep using my current video and leave it to upgrade for future, since CSGO is CPU game. This is like my ''plan'' right now, but I am not sure since I am more software guy than hardware, so I'd highly appreciate your help.

Thank you in advance.

Solution
Hello guys.

I want to upgrade (if possible) my current setup, since I am suffering in gaming/multitasking now and I think its time to upgrade. I'd like to ask if you if its possible to do so, or I will need a complete new PC.

i5-4460 3.2ghz 6mb
ASRock B85M-DGS
GeForce GTX 1050
EVGA 500W 80PLUS

I want to ask if I can use the HDD, SSD, GTX 1050 and the power supply, and buy Ryzen 5600x, motherboard for example Gigabyte B450 Elite (I'd like to use ur recommendation)...
Hello guys.

i5-4460 3.2ghz 6mb
ASRock B85M-DGS
GeForce GTX 1050
EVGA 500W 80PLUS

I want to ask if I can use the HDD, SSD, GTX 1050 and the power supply, and buy Ryzen 5600x, motherboard for example Gigabyte B450 Elite (I'd like to use ur recommendation), buy 2x8GB new ram since I can't use the one I have and keep using my current video and leave it to upgrade for future, since CSGO is CPU game. This is like my ''plan'' right now, but I am not sure since I am more software guy than hardware, so I'd highly appreciate your help.

Thank you in advance.

So to your first question, yes it's possible to upgrade, and keeping some of your existing components is a good idea.

With regards to the parts you are thinking of - the R5 5600X is probably the best gaming cpu you can get at the moment and will fly in CS:GO, although honestly probably a little overkill (depending on budget you would likely find a Ryzen 3000 series processor, e.g. the 3600 would be sufficient to max out CS:GO on even a 240 hz screen) - then again I know CS:GO pro players go for the most fps possible so you will get more with the 5600X.

My only though is it's not a great idea to pair a 5600X with a B450 motherboard for a new build - B450 boards only support Ryzen 5000 series cpu's with a bios update, and also lack newer features that the cpu supports (i.e. PCIe 4.0, which will be relevant in future when you upgrade the gpu). I would look to get a B550 motherboard, although you do still need to check it is a recent board as even B550 pre-dates the 5600X (it's more likely to work though). To be 100% sure you might want to look at buying a model of board that support bios flash functionality (the ability to flash the bios without the cpu installed). There are quite a few of those boards around these days:

Memory wise, you probably want to look at 2 x 8gb DDR4 3600 ram - that is a good option price / performance and will work at 1:1 speed with the infinity fabric on a Ryzen 5000 cpu (technically higher speeds are possible, but require the fabric to drop to a 1:2 ratio which usually hurts game performance).

Solution

eszed556

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
Hi. Yes you can reuse your HDD, SSD, GPU and PSU with the 5600x (if you can find one). I had the i5 4460 for the longest time - it was reliable. I donated it after switching to a Ryzen 7 2700.

I would recommend looking at a B550 board such as a MSI B550 Tomahawk because its a newer chipset which is geared towards better supporting future components (RAM, Storage, Network, Peripherals). It also has BIOS Flashback which allows you to update your BIOS w/o actually placing the CPU on the board.

I think after 144Hz, the performance gain in refresh rate starts diminishing quickly. If you intend to stick to 1080p gaming you will be fine with the GTX 1050 after adjusting graphics settings.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
So to your first question, yes it's possible to upgrade, and keeping some of your existing components is a good idea.

With regards to the parts you are thinking of - the R5 5600X is probably the best gaming cpu you can get at the moment and will fly in CS:GO, although honestly probably a little overkill (depending on budget you would likely find a Ryzen 3000 series processor, e.g. the 3600 would be sufficient to max out CS:GO on even a 240 hz screen) - then again I know CS:GO pro players go for the most fps possible so you will get more with the 5600X.

My only though is it's not a great idea to pair a 5600X with a B450 motherboard for a new build - B450 boards only support Ryzen 5000 series cpu's with a bios update, and also lack newer features that the cpu supports (i.e. PCIe 4.0, which will be relevant in future when you upgrade the gpu). I would look to get a B550 motherboard, although you do still need to check it is a recent board as even B550 pre-dates the 5600X (it's more likely to work though). To be 100% sure you might want to look at buying a model of board that support bios flash functionality (the ability to flash the bios without the cpu installed). There are quite a few of those boards around these days:

Memory wise, you probably want to look at 2 x 8gb DDR4 3600 ram - that is a good option price / performance and will work at 1:1 speed with the infinity fabric on a Ryzen 5000 cpu (technically higher speeds are possible, but require the fabric to drop to a 1:2 ratio which usually hurts game performance).
5600X is certainly not overkill. I myself have a 3600. In certain areas like top banana/b entry in Inferno, as well as multiple areas in cache, Outside tunnels in dust 2, fps drops to 170-180. I believe these are the "1%low" values. 5600X will definitely keep the 1% and possibly 0.1% lows above 240, for a smoother experience.
For RAM, Trident Z Neo 8×2 3600mhz pretty sure the model name ended with "16GTZN" the Cas timings were 16-16-16-36. This is the best RAM for ryzen, value wise. (slow ram could also be a reason i get 180 sometimes, mine is 3000 16-18-18-38).

For a budget mobo I'd suggest the B550 DS3H, for more expensive probably a Strix F. I agree with 5600x + B450 not being the best idea ever.

Also, the 1050 is fine, if you play at settings which most pros use (you know, 1280×960, low textures and stuff, basically not native 1080p ultra)

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B85M-DGS/#CPU

Your motherboard supports Xeon CPU’s. You can buy an Xeon equivalent to an i7 pretty cheap especially after selling your old CPU. In November I bought an e3 1240 v3 which is essentially an i7 4770 with no igpu and 100mhz lower turbo for $65 and the 4570 sell for $50, yours will be slightly less.

This could be viable as a stop gap if hyperthreading helps with CSGO, truth be told I’m not to familiar with trying to push high FPS in that game. Just trying to make sure you know all your options.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B85M-DGS/#CPU

Your motherboard supports Xeon CPU’s. You can buy an Xeon equivalent to an i7 pretty cheap especially after selling your old CPU. In November I bought an e3 1240 v3 which is essentially an i7 4770 with no igpu and 100mhz lower turbo for $65 and the 4570 sell for $50, yours will be slightly less.

This could be viable as a stop gap if hyperthreading helps with CSGO, truth be told I’m not to familiar with trying to push high FPS in that game. Just trying to make sure you know all your options.
AFAIK, CSGO hates HT. I went into task manager, Affinity, and specifically disabled all except 1,3,5,7 on my Ryzen 3600. It gets +10% average fps.