[SOLVED] PC Upgrade

Jun 10, 2020
SO, pretty sure its time for a pc upgrade
NOTE - this pc will serve me/my bro for the next 6-7 years (with gpu upgrades in the long run like now - from a 650 to a 2080 so idk maybe from a 2080 to a 7080 or whatever is out when an upgrade is required)
my rig right now:
i5 3550 3.9GHz
Gigabyte z77x-d3h
Corsair vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866MHz
Leadtek GTX 650 Hurricane II 2GB - checked online and this homie is bottlenecking my cpu [redacted]
cooler master gx 550w 80+ Bronze
ive had this pc for about 4 years now but it was custom build around 6-8 years ago, and as we all know - [redacted]
now days, as we are right after intel's 10 series and ryzen 4000 and rtx 3000 just around the corner, thought it would be a good idea to upgrade my whole rig - excluding case, cpu cooling and drives.
i am getting a 2080 aorus (found a decent deal on it cause of the 2080 super prices) and an antec high current gamer gold 750w psu in a few days and i will be rocking the 2080 with my i5 3550 for a month or two because i do want to wait and see amd's 4000 series since the rumors are saying that they will be an insane value and better priced compared to a 10900k - whice i will be getting if the 4000 series will not be great compared to it (but we all know that aint gon happen :) )
my question is this:
since my i5 3550 is kind of an insane value cpu for now (1080p 60hz - untill ill get a 144hz one) should i maybe max out my board with a 3770k? i dont think that the extra 4 threads will make a huge differance but id like to hear your opinions
so ill be running an i5 3550 clocked at 3.9GHz with a corsair h100x (will be used in the next build), same board and ram and a 2080 Aorus - for a month or two untill i get my 10900k/wait for the ryzen 4000.
i mainly play csgo - and as we all know, EVERY FRAME COUNTS in fps games and nnow im getting 60-120 in some maps, gta v from time to time and the new upcoming anarea battle royale whice does require a minimun gtx 950 and the up coming gtx vi - as of right now ill be running this game at 0.5 frames per second if the systems req are true.
im also editing with after effects and premiere and my 3550 struggles at 1080p 60fps but i think it will be able to handle it now with the 2080.
id like to hear what yall have to say
sorry if i mixed everything up :)

This is a family friendly site.
Vulgarity will not be tolerated!
Lutfij

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
No matter what you throw at the current platform, it will not go around the fact that you're workign with older technology and you will see limitations in the CPU's architecture with concurrent titles unless you decide to drop down details, which is moot considering what the RTX2080 is capable of. Also, the PSU you mentioned, if it's brand new, then sure you have the GPU and PSU out of the way but you will still need to invest on a new platform.

I'd wait and see what happens with the B550 chipset and the release of 4000 series processors or if you can't wait, get into the Ryzen 3700 + B550 combo with DDR4-3600MHz and call ti a day.

Lutfij

Titan
No matter what you throw at the current platform, it will not go around the fact that you're workign with older technology and you will see limitations in the CPU's architecture with concurrent titles unless you decide to drop down details, which is moot considering what the RTX2080 is capable of. Also, the PSU you mentioned, if it's brand new, then sure you have the GPU and PSU out of the way but you will still need to invest on a new platform.

I'd wait and see what happens with the B550 chipset and the release of 4000 series processors or if you can't wait, get into the Ryzen 3700 + B550 combo with DDR4-3600MHz and call ti a day.

Solution