PC vs console

Solution
You could probably do a new or used mobo for $35, a chip for $100, and a video card for $150 if you have a case, DDR3 RAM, and a PSU. You may still have to purchase a license key for Windows, but you could always make a SteamBox.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
What is your old PC? You might consider building a new one, or buying a used gaming system. Advantages to PC's: They can be used for a lot more. They are more customizable. They can be pieced out and sold or upgraded. They offer better graphics and resolution scaling. They can play more game titles.

migronesien

Honorable
PC: Better graphics, mods, you can do anything you want besides gaming, great game sales (Steam), lots of exclusives, mouse+keyboard aiming
Console: Cheaper, no need to worry about weak hardware, some exclusives, more stuff to play with friends (localy on a single console, not online)

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
You should consider buy a new "budget gaming PC" rather than upgrade your old PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iipDWbd6HNg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L-jVhZg0G8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxUPJdcChzE

Budget gaming PC vs Console
Yes the initial HAREWARE cost is (a little bit) more expensive than console. But in the long term, gaming on PC is not necessary more expensive than console because...
- no online subscription ($60 per year). Put it this way, 3 or 4 years of these online subscription fee can get you an ok good videocard.

- no need to rebuy all your PERFECTLY WORKING console accessories. Example: I love racing game. I bought a good steering wheel for my Xbox360 for Forza3/4/5, Forza Horizon, PGR... But M$ said it is not possible to support their official product on Xbox1. There is no way i will spend $1000CAD ($500 for console, $500 for steering wheel) for some new racing games especially I still have one which is perfectly working. It is the same for gamepad, fightstick... all these wheel and controller/fightstick end up use on my "gaming PC"

- game price. PC game titles have MUCH MUCH deeper discounts and frequent than console (thanks to an invention call Steam sales). This alone can/will offset the initial hardware price differences.

- tons of indie and f2p that are actually are good: example: Marvel Heroes 2015, Killing Floor...

logainofhades

Titan

PC is more useful, and can be modified for better performance. Consoles are not capable of upgrades to anything, other than storage. Depends on the specs of your PC, whether it is worth upgrading.

Muhammad Haris_1

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015

my old pc is q6600 2.4 3gb ram ddr2 320hd and gt 9800 512mb,,,it almost will cost me 800$ to get a better pc i guess..and pc has not that good exclusive thats hurt me

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
You could probably do a new or used mobo for $35, a chip for $100, and a video card for $150 if you have a case, DDR3 RAM, and a PSU. You may still have to purchase a license key for Windows, but you could always make a SteamBox.

Solution