[SOLVED] Pc waits for me to turn away and then restarts! Can't figure it out.

romansamurai

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Not exactly, but it's funny that it happened both times exactly when I turned away. So far it has happened twice today within a period of 1-2 hours.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007f (0x0000000000000008, 0xffffb780b9e94e70, 0xffffb780b9e80f90, 0xfffff80574203bd4). A dump was saved in: C:\\Windows\\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: d5a9a7af-7a14-41c4-882c-66c8029b1d28.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000101 (0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000000000000, 0xffffcd80057e3180, 0x000000000000000c). A dump was saved in: C:\\Windows\\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000.

Both happened when I turned away from the PC, like it's doing it on purpose lol.

Computer is about 4 weeks old, but first 24 hours using it as my main computer.

This has happened twice today and both times I was "playing" Galactic Civilizations 3.

The CPU temps were in high 40s (Idle 29-33C), the GPU temp was 58-59C (idle 29-31C). Ram Load was at 9.6/64 GB. I have 7 case fans and a Kraken Z73 on the CPU.

Specs are 12900k 7\`1% OC, 3080 slightly OC based on Afterburner curve. I've found that these both run much much hotter than my 5960k and 2080 I had previously, but I had no issues with this rig so far. I've "played" that game yesterday for about 3 hours at night.

I put "played" in parentheses because I would have the game open most of the time while I work and would get a turn or two in once an hour or two, so it's just idling there, but again, no issues yesterday. Just today.

Only new thing today was adding drivers for Brother 3760N Printer and Installing Adobe Creative Cloud and Microsoft VIsual C++ according to Reliability Monitor.

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Both happened when I turned away from the PC, like it's doing it on purpose lol.
you need some mirrors :)

top error is an Unexpected Kernel mode trap
Second is a CLock watchdog timeout (i see these more often)

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder...

Colif

Win 11 Master
you need some mirrors :)

top error is an Unexpected Kernel mode trap
Second is a CLock watchdog timeout (i see these more often)

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
What are rest of the specs of the PC?
tr running this on CPU - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool
Do you have newest bios on motherboard?

Solution

romansamurai

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
thats a fail of the test, not the CPU

When the Brand String test fails, it is basically that the processor's name was not recognized by the Intel® Processor Diagnostics Tool. Please refer to the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/processors/sb/theintelprocessordiagnostict... Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool User Guide page 20.

This does not mean that your processor is defective. In order to complete the test on the IPDT go Tools > Stop Testing On Fail > Off.
https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/brand-string-fail-test/td-p/560045

romansamurai

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/rujL9xdf/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:041822-21640-01.dmp (Apr 18 2022 - 15:04:08)
Bugcheck:UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (7F)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: NortonSecurity.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 17 Hour(s), 46 Min(s), and 04 Sec(s)

Comment: The GPU tweaking driver "iomap64.sys" was found on your system. (AI Suite or GPU Tweak 2 or Armoury Crate)

Comment: The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)

Possible Motherboard page: https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z690-a-gaming-wifi-d4-model/helpdesk_bios
There is a BIOS update available for your system. You are using version 0707 and the latest is version 1404. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

romansamurai

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

Thank you, it gives me an error when trying to use that page "something went wrong when trying to scan" but I found the tool and downloaded it (very useful tool btw, thank you!) and it shows all my drivers up to date. Also I have noticed an issue with Norton, it was really slowing everything down and constantly writing to my disk, my disk was getting spikes of 60% utilization (2TB 980 PRO NvMe) and everything just seemed slower, I couldn't figure out why. Removing Norton fixed it, but now I don't know if I should reinstall it or what.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I almost suggested removing Norton since it was half of your drivers on the system. If its Norton 360 it includes a Bitcoin miner but I believe it is meant to be opt in, not on by default.
there are better choices than Norton... defender is a better choice and its already part of windows.

romansamurai

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
I almost suggested removing Norton since it was half of your drivers on the system. If its Norton 360 it includes a Bitcoin miner but I believe it is meant to be opt in, not on by default.
there are better choices than Norton... defender is a better choice and its already part of windows.

Yeah I did that and it seems to be ok now. I've overclocked it again and ran a few stress tests with OCCT and Aida64Extreme for an hour each and everything seems stable so far. RAM, CPU, GPU. Only thing is CPU has hit 83C towards the end of the stress test but according to the AI overclock it's 71% OC so I'm assuming it's ok. Normally it idles at 29-32C and ambient temps inside never hit 30C at any point during the stress test. But I don't know what the ambient temps should be. GPU is also a little over clocked with Afteburner and has hit 75C at some point towards the end of the stress test too, but from what I understand the 3080 XC3 and 12900k do run a little hot?