PC Will not boot

i1own0u

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017
PC will not boot 0xC0000221. At this point, I'm assuming hardware so I am trying to narrow down which piece.

So far I have tried the following:

Tested each ram stick (have 2. both work)
changed from overclocked mhz to stock (3200oc to 2133). same bsod message on boot
removed nvme drive os and installed ssd with w10 on it (still bsod message on boot)
reset bios to default (still bsod message on boot)
noticed cpu was at 55C idle (i have a closed loop watercooler)
removed and reapplied thermal grease (I made this PC 1 month ago, so everything was fine)
still bsod message
tried to boot off usb stick, still bsod message.
I really feel like it is the motherboard that is bad.

Anyone have more steps to help me verify?

NorseVikingr

Reputable
Sep 19, 2016
When does the BSOD occur? If you're able to get into BIOS, it probably isn't MOBO issues, (Probably) but if BSOD comes on whilst trying to load windows, it could be that. Also, make sure no pins are bent if you're using AMD CPU.

i1own0u

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017

USB stuff is detected in BIOS (like my bootable flash drive). Keyboard is usable in uefi bios, as well as mouse.

When the pc was working, all the usb ports were working correctly.

i1own0u

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017

I have two bootable USB drives. When I try to boot into them, I get a BSOD (before even seeing some kind of boot come up). So this is the process in which it happens:

Bios Posts
Then immediate blue screen. If I press f11 and try to boot from USB, I still get the blue screen with the same error. Usually saying a file is corrupt, like the krnl or something. I forget. I stopped caring after I noticed I was getting the same message when both trying to boot from the nvme drive, a backup Sata drive, and bootable USB drives.

i1own0u

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017

Correct, I can get into the BIOS. Its after the bios post that I get the bsod. This happens regardless of if I try to boot from my backup W10 SSD, and my 2 boot usb drives. They all relay the same error; 0xC0000221.

To me this sounds like a mobo issue, because I shouldn't see the same error for the main drive (NVME), a spare W10 Drive (sata ssd), and my 2 bootable USB drives (one is W10 install, the other is my bootable harddrive backup)

NorseVikingr

Reputable
Sep 19, 2016

Doubtful, but possible. All the motherboard does during start up is check in, loads up everything, so if it was the MOBO, I doubt it would give you BSOD after it loads everything. The CPU doesn't even start during that process, so it's very possible it could be CPU, or RAM. Have you tried loading in no RAM? See if you get a different error. Also, do you have an Intel or AMD processor?

i1own0u

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017

I tried loading with no RAM and I didn't get to post (no bios screen / selection). I tried each stick of RAM by themselves and had the same results as having both sticks of ram in (blue screen with error message). I have an Intel 7700k. I noticed it was a high temp (~55C at Idle. Usually its around 35C, or 40C if I'm doing some overclocking.

Any way to diagnose the CPU some? I wouldn't be surprised if it was the CPU... but thats ~$350, and I've never returned a CPU (i'm past my 30 day return window) and I'm afraid of the time it will take to get an RMA, and how much it would cost. I'm a college kid and I really need to have a PC that is running.

NorseVikingr

Reputable
Sep 19, 2016

Do some research on some known 7700k problems, and see if any of them have a resolution you could try. From my searches i see a lot of overheating from that specific CPU, perhaps when you OC'd it could have left some damage, unfortunately I just don't know. I would leave this to someone more knowledgeable in CPU's. I doubt it's the RAM, doubt it's the MOBO, but CPU's, especially new ones, often have problems. The problem with new ones are that there isn't a lot of testing on them. So the answers for problems could be scarce, or guesses. Good luck man.

i1own0u

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017
Thanks for the assistance. I ordered a new Mobo and a closed loop watercooler (for some reason I feel like the one I have is damaged).

In the middle of the winter storm in the USA, so it may take a few days to get here. When I install the mobo, if I get the same issue, I think I have narrowed it down to just the CPU. Not looking forward to drop that chunk of change.

Then I can return the new mobo and liquid cooler within the 30 days and not be screwed over.